Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2011, 06:52:00 AM
The Last Centurion by John Ringo

Ed's rating: WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ?

The book is a mix of my languish posting style, Hans' politics and Siege's over the top GI Jew act.

But the book is free, so I can't complain.

:lol:  Never read a John Ringo book.  Don't plan to.  I do remember he wrote something about raping Georgian women or something.  Something really bizarre.  Most of his stuff is suppose to be Tim level science fiction.  Bleh.

I've got those lined up on my jetbook.  :blush:

Baen books: Giving shit away for free.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2011, 01:54:31 PM

Eh, we all need silly bullshit once in a while.  I've been reading Kant and it makes my head hurt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 02:47:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2011, 01:54:31 PM

Eh, we all need silly bullshit once in a while.  I've been reading Kant and it makes my head hurt.

Lord knows, a bit of reading about the categorical imperative has to be balanced out with a bit of reading about raping Georgian women. That's just simple sense.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Exactly.  If Kant raped more women think how better off we'd be.  I imagine German Idealism would be more existing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Jerusalem,Jerusalem by James Carroll.

In which our former Catholic priest attempts to describe the history of western civilization and the relationship of all world events to  Jerusalem. It pretty much becomes a 400-page history of everything beginning right at the beginning with atomic molecules to our hunter gatherer ancestors to Abraham's attempted infanticide to Moses and Jesus and those annoying Romans and the Gospel writers and Mohammed and the Infidels and the Crusader Kings and the Pilgrims and the Civil War and WW1 and WW2 and Eichmann and the Cold War and Al Qaeda and 9-11.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

11B4V

Finally finnished with Nipe's, Last Victory in Russia. A superb study of the german side. This is a pic heavy book and the pics are second to none.

I'm about a third of the way into vol 1 of Glantz's Stalingrad tome(s).
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2011, 04:44:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 19, 2011, 02:30:58 PM
I think Korea accidentally packed up my copy of Tau Zero.  I'd gotten right to the point where it wasn't boring "character" building, too.  I've looked for it like a month, so I don't think it's in the house anymore. :(

I hope you have checked your DVD collection.

Complete, less Return of the King, which I never particularly liked, and was hers anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

I haven't done much reading recently but I just ordered Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN.  I heard an interview with one of the co-authors and am looking forward to reading it.  The authors had ESPN's  reluctant cooperation and interviewed everyone who has had anything to do with ESPN over the last 30 years and the book is supposed to have some really  good stuff; from crazy, racy antics of the on-air staff to the luck and skill it took to take the network from a huge gamble to the worldwide leader.

Syt

Anyone know any decent histories of Parthians, Kushan Empire, Ancient India or the Han Dynasty?

Not just a chronological account, life and customs of the inhabitants would be most interesting.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 02:47:24 PM

I am in a small study group now, plowing our way slowly through Critique of Pure Reason (and Henry Allison's interpretation).  Just got past the Transcendental Deduction, so hopefully downhill from here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I just noticed that Pournelle's kid wrote a sequel to Mote in God's Eye (good stuff) and the Gripping Hand (meh).

http://www.amazon.com/Outies-Mote-Gods-Eye-ebook/dp/B004FGMURG

If I ever get around to it, I'll buy it and give it one of my special reviews.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive