News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Reading Tim Powers' 2006 book "Three Days To Never" ... which I had somehow missed completely until seeing it in a thrift store recently. Love Powers. This book is just as entertaining as any of his earlier ones so far. Great mix of silly conspiracy stuff, science that could easily be confused with magic and vice versa.... kind of like De Lint filtered through Phil Dick....oddly One of his great early novels was used for (hopefully the more coherent bits) of the new Pirates of The Caribbean movie (The Stress of her Regard... which is the best Pirate-y thing I've ever read) ... I hope he was handsomely compensated for whatever horrible things they do with that clever story.

when I finish that i may re-read Varley's "Titan" trilogy. Which I haven't re-read since the mid eighties. (read all three at least three times before that.) Cirocco Jones is one of my all time favourite characters in any book anywhere.
:p

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 19, 2011, 12:19:57 PM
Reading Tim Powers' 2006 book "Three Days To Never" ... which I had somehow missed completely until seeing it in a thrift store recently. Love Powers. This book is just as entertaining as any of his earlier ones so far. Great mix of silly conspiracy stuff, science that could easily be confused with magic and vice versa.... kind of like De Lint filtered through Phil Dick....oddly One of his great early novels was used for (hopefully the more coherent bits) of the new Pirates of The Caribbean movie (The Stress of her Regard... which is the best Pirate-y thing I've ever read) ... I hope he was handsomely compensated for whatever horrible things they do with that clever story.

when I finish that i may re-read Varley's "Titan" trilogy. Which I haven't re-read since the mid eighties. (read all three at least three times before that.) Cirocco Jones is one of my all time favourite characters in any book anywhere.

It was On Stranger Tides, not The Stress of Her Regard ... and I assume Mr. Powers got a butt-load of pirate loot out of the deal.  ;)

Edit: my fave remains The Anubis Gates.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

I think Korea accidentally packed up my copy of Tau Zero.  I'd gotten right to the point where it wasn't boring "character" building, too.  I've looked for it like a month, so I don't think it's in the house anymore. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on May 19, 2011, 02:30:58 PM
I think Korea accidentally packed up my copy of Tau Zero.  I'd gotten right to the point where it wasn't boring "character" building, too.  I've looked for it like a month, so I don't think it's in the house anymore. :(

I hope you have checked your DVD collection.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2011, 12:26:40 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 19, 2011, 12:19:57 PM

It was On Stranger Tides, not The Stress of Her Regard ... and I assume Mr. Powers got a butt-load of pirate loot out of the deal.  ;)

Edit: my fave remains The Anubis Gates.
ah yeah, I stand corrected. Anubis Gates, also awesome.  I read that he apparently has something coming out in 2012. I'm excited.

Habbaku

Recent orders to be read when I finish The Wages of Destruction (which is amusingly hilarious at some points and depressing at others) :

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

I heard the 1st one was pretty good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Figes is a pretty reliable historian, so I suspect you're right.  Aside from his bizarre episode with the Amazon review fiasco, I've enjoyed all that I've read from him.  A People's Tragedy was excellent, if weighed down by what I felt was minutiae at times and somewhat spotty on details about the Civil War itself.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

The Last Centurion by John Ringo

Ed's rating: WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ?

The book is a mix of my languish posting style, Hans' politics and Siege's over the top GI Jew act.

But the book is free, so I can't complain.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2011, 06:27:28 PM
I heard the 1st one was pretty good.
I liked it. Although it was tough to know who to root for.

Didn't know about the Amazon thing, though. That's pretty shitty.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2011, 06:52:00 AM

The book is a mix of my languish posting style, Hans' politics and Siege's over the top GI Jew act.

:lol:  Never read a John Ringo book.  Don't plan to.  I do remember he wrote something about raping Georgian women or something.  Something really bizarre.  Most of his stuff is suppose to be Tim level science fiction.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've been meaning to read some of Tim Powers stuff.  I heard good things about Declare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 27, 2011, 06:52:00 AM

:lol:  Never read a John Ringo book.  Don't plan to.  I do remember he wrote something about raping Georgian women or something.  Something really bizarre.  Most of his stuff is suppose to be Tim level science fiction.  Bleh.

QuoteGHOST is Ringo's own admitted Lord King Badfic, his id run wild. By his own account, he was trying to write several books he was actually contracted for, but GHOST kept nudging at him, and finally he just wrote the damn thing to *make it go away* so he could get back to fulfilling his contracts. Ringo locked the spewings of his id away on his hard drive, until he mentioned in passing on an online forum that yeah, he'd written another book, but it was *awful* and would never see the light of day. Naturally, folks were curious, and when Ringo posted a sample, nobody was more surprised than him to find that the response was, more often than not, "Hey, man, I'd buy this."

So his publisher put it out, and the books are now doing pretty well for them. I'm sure this is a pleasant surprise if you're Ringo or his publisher, but it's also got to be a little embarrassing; he's committed the literary equivalent of charging money for folks to watch him roll naked in a pile of dead and smelly fish. And then being begged for encores.
http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 09:44:55 AM
I've been meaning to read some of Tim Powers stuff.  I heard good things about Declare.

The Drawing of the Dark and Anubis Gates I remember fondly.

BuddhaRhubarb

re: Tim Powers... quite enjoying "Three Days To Never"... just about finished. it's a quick read, as Powers really knows how to keep you reading till you physically can't anymore. My only qualm is that the time travel plot isn't a very fresh device. The way it's conceived and plays out though is fresh, clever.