News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes.  Follow up to Best Served Cold and The First Law trilogy.  Better than them, as well.

Home Fires, by Gene Wolfe.  A serious departure into a more hard sci-fi world for Wolfe; less dreamy philosophizing, more Jack Vance meets Iain M. Banks.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on May 07, 2011, 12:23:42 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2011, 08:10:42 AM
Reading Philp Kerr's A Quiet Flame. Excellent post-ww2 noir about a German cop, reluctantly drafted into the German army, then swept to Argentina where he gets involved in various sorts of nastiness - I highly recommend it (it's the 5th book in a series - the whole series is great).

Hmm is there something called the Berlin Trilogy by him? I think I have it in french but my mum stole it.  :glare:

Yup, the Berlin Noir trilogy. It's the first three books of the series. He left off writing his series for some years, and then went back to it ...

If you like Chandler, you will love Kerr.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

For classic crime/noir novels: Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Jim Thompson, Cornell Woolrich, Charles Willeford, David Goodis (my personal fascination), and Georges Simenon's romans durs ("Dirty Snow," "Tropic Moon")...

If Chandler's universe is the paradigm, Hammett's is wittier and lighter, Thompson's is more psychopathic, Woolrich's is more melodramatic, and Goodis's is filled painful failure and self-destruction...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Kleves

Just finished James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. I really liked it (though I seem to recall the movie being shit). After reading the afterword though, Ellroy seems to be a bit batshit insane. Still, I'll pick up The Big Nowhere soon.

Oh, and I tried reading Chandler, but gave up when I read the lines: "My God, you big dark handsome brute! I ought to throw a buick at you!"
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Scipio

Quote from: Kleves on May 16, 2011, 05:22:17 PM
Just finished James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. I really liked it (though I seem to recall the movie being shit). After reading the afterword though, Ellroy seems to be a bit batshit insane. Still, I'll pick up The Big Nowhere soon.

Oh, and I tried reading Chandler, but gave up when I read the lines: "My God, you big dark handsome brute! I ought to throw a buick at you!"
How sad, to prefer Ellroy to Chandler.  It's like preferring Manischewitz to Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 09:28:07 AM
Can my idea for a Nazi version of Thomas the Tank Engine be far behind?  ;)

I always thought of more of noir, gangstery kind of take on it.  With the Island of Sodor being a depressed, pollution-ridden (all those coal burning engines!) post-industrial community with meth labs run by competing gangs being the principal form of economic activity now that the mines have declined.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Looks like a book I'd write.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2011, 05:33:48 PM
How sad, to prefer Ellroy to Chandler.  It's like preferring Manischewitz to Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
I ought to throw a buick at you.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Scipio

Quote from: Kleves on May 16, 2011, 07:37:52 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2011, 05:33:48 PM
I ought to throw a buick at you.
You'd have better luck throwing an Oldsmobile, kid.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

The Brain

In my quest to order every single book on Amazon with naughty words in the title I have come to The Nigger Of The 'Narcissus'.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

I read Let The Right One In by some guy with a Swedish name. I've watched both versions of the movie and liked them.

Teh book, i think, was somewhat uneven.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on April 21, 2011, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: Norgy on April 21, 2011, 01:30:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2011, 02:56:39 PM

Also "The Fall of the Roman Empire" by Peter Heath.  Anyone read this?  It's filling in massive gaps in my knowledge of the era but I can't wholeheartedly endorse the writing style.

Yes. I quite like Heather. He does seem to be somewhat controversial, though. His style seems fine to me, but I'd probably not pick up on the less fortunate writing due to English still being my second language.

I also bought his Empires & Barbarians, but it'll be summer reading, I suspect.

I read Goldsworthy's "Fall of the West: The Death of the Roman Superpower" recently which I liked a lot.

Heather's book on the Fall of the Roman Empire is the superior work, but I can understand people who have quibbles with his writing style (which I feel is more pronounced in "Empires & Barbarians" than it is in "The Fall".)

Both books are fascinating reads, as much for what they say about how our view of the past has changed over the years (in particular for this see "Empires & Barbarians") than just for the fine historical interpretation itself.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."