News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Reading Guy Gavriel Kay's "A Song For Arbonne". It took some patience, but now about halfway through, I'm quite enjoying it. Thank you Languish for helping me get past my fear that Kay was just some hist.romance crap, which the book jackets have always led me to think, thus keeping me far away.

any Medieval experts out there want to chime in on the history? is any of it truish? or are the names of places all as fake as they sound? it's a region/time period that I have not studied at all.
:p

Josephus

I read two of his books Yisabel and his most recent one Under Heaven which is a perfect vehicle for Languishites since it takes place in medieval China and has some ccool battle scenes.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

BuddhaRhubarb

I also have several Cornwell ready on the nightstand. The last two of His King Alfred series (the first of which was awesome) as well as the Stonehenge one and the Azincourt one.... Go thrift stores. (where I buy 90% of my books.) But think I will pick up that "Under Heaven" one you mention, as there's an ad in the back of the ed. the one I'm reading now, that makes it sound interesting.

Also found the new Tim Powers paperback the other day. almost nothing excites me more than that, genre fic wise.

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 06, 2011, 12:56:07 PM
I also have several Cornwell ready on the nightstand. The last two of His King Alfred series (the first of which was awesome) as well as the Stonehenge one and the Azincourt one.... Go thrift stores. (where I buy 90% of my books.) But think I will pick up that "Under Heaven" one you mention, as there's an ad in the back of the ed. the one I'm reading now, that makes it sound interesting.

Also found the new Tim Powers paperback the other day. almost nothing excites me more than that, genre fic wise.

Cornwell's Alfred series is excellent. He's reall matured as a writer - I liked Sharpe well enough, but they were more formulaic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Kleves

Anyone read any good noir recently? Aside from Kerr, Huston, Lehane? Keep in mind: good noir, so no Crais, Ellis, or such nonsense.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Norgy

Quote from: Kleves on May 06, 2011, 01:44:08 PM
Anyone read any good noir recently? Aside from Kerr, Huston, Lehane? Keep in mind: good noir, so no Crais, Ellis, or such nonsense.

James Crumley?

I liked The Last Good Kiss when I read it yonks ago. Of course, if you haven't yet read all of Chandler, go for those.

BuddhaRhubarb

You've read Jim Thompson, Patricia Highsmith? if not, those. modern noir.... hmmm tougher, for light noir I like Walter Mosley, at least the first few of his anyway.

Crumley, as Norgy says, also. hmmm now I need a good modern noir.....

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2011, 08:10:42 AM
Reading Philp Kerr's A Quiet Flame. Excellent post-ww2 noir about a German cop, reluctantly drafted into the German army, then swept to Argentina where he gets involved in various sorts of nastiness - I highly recommend it (it's the 5th book in a series - the whole series is great).

Hmm is there something called the Berlin Trilogy by him? I think I have it in french but my mum stole it.  :glare:

Zoupa

Quote from: Norgy on May 06, 2011, 02:28:31 PM

James Crumley?

I liked The Last Good Kiss when I read it yonks ago. Of course, if you haven't yet read all of Chandler, go for those.

I second Chandler. I just finished the Big Sleep. It's cooler than the Fonz.

BuddhaRhubarb

picked up John Varley's "Titan" Trilogy for a buck apiece at the old thrift store. Been meaning to reread that (read them & loved them as they came out 20 odd years ago) series for some time. My pile on the nightstand is starting to teeter.

Scipio

Just purchased the Thor Omnibus of the Walter Simonson Run for 40% off the cover price.  God bless my tax return.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on May 07, 2011, 04:03:56 PM
Just purchased the Thor Omnibus of the Walter Simonson Run for 40% off the cover price.  God bless my tax return.

Sweet.  If I had the cash, I'd have liked to have picked that up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

I'm reading The Black Magician trilogy, currently on book 2.

It's the french translation & I must say it is one of the better translation that I have read. Executed perfectly but I'll give some credit to the original author for crafting a wonderfull & compelling story.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

Quote from: Zoupa on May 07, 2011, 12:23:42 AM

Hmm is there something called the Berlin Trilogy by him? I think I have it in french but my mum stole it.  :glare:

Yes. I have read some Philip Kerr. It is very uneven. Sometimes, it's like his publisher just put together his notes from the toilet and called it a novel.

Rankin is better, in my opinion, and for those looking for some okay mystery novels, Norwegian author Jo Nesbo's aren't bad.