Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Pedrito on April 22, 2011, 09:09:21 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2011, 09:07:57 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on April 22, 2011, 06:38:31 AM
I've put my hands on Stanley Karnow's Vietnam: a History. It seems interesting, but it's been written in 1983: is it dated, or still a fundamental read about the Vietnam War?

L.

Still the Bible.
:) TY

L.

Ie wildly inaccurate and widely ignored. :secret:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2011, 09:24:44 AM
I just saw that Brian Jacques passed away in Febrary. :weep:
Didn't know that.  He lived next door to my uncle and aunty.  Very nice man :(
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Picked up Game of Thrones yesterday. Along with a newish biography of Theodora and an Edmund White book.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Finished Guderian's Panzer Leader the other night.  Excellent read, though it's obvious there are some self-serving portions within it.  Nonetheless, the inside view of the regime and all the documented conversations with Hitler was great reading.

Now I'm off to Tooze's The Wages of Destruction.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Man, the History Book Club is shit nowadays. PLZ REJOIN US! 4 for a dolla!

Pfft. All shit. Very little Napoleonics, rehashed civil war crap and Nazi wanking shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2011, 09:37:56 PM
Lots of Nazi wanking shit.

Why would you read lots of Nazi wanking shit?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2011, 09:40:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2011, 09:37:56 PM
Lots of Nazi wanking shit.

Why would you read lots of Nazi wanking shit?

Nah, it was actually a reply to the previous post. That the History Bookclub is all lots of Nazi wanking shit. Lots of Nazi wanking shit.

I stopped reading Nazi wanking shit a long time ago. Same old same old.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

For the record, I'm currently reading Let The Right One In by some Swedish dude. Not much Nazi wanking shit in it.
Civis Romanus Sum

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2011, 07:40:20 PM

Good book, although his animus against Speer was so pronounced as to become a distraction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 05, 2011, 10:00:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2011, 07:40:20 PM

Good book, although his animus against Speer was so pronounced as to become a distraction.

Have yet to get to that part--about 100 pages in now.  I'm enjoying the excoriating of German business society and the holes being poked in the early economic policies of the Nazis--the Autobahn, in particular.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2011, 09:47:03 PM
Nah, it was actually a reply to the previous thread. That the History Bookclub is all lots of Nazi wanking shit. Lots of Nazi wanking shit.

What happened to that thread anyway?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Reading Philp Kerr's A Quiet Flame. Excellent post-ww2 noir about a German cop, reluctantly drafted into the German army, then swept to Argentina where he gets involved in various sorts of nastiness - I highly recommend it (it's the 5th book in a series - the whole series is great).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 05, 2011, 11:09:19 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2011, 09:47:03 PM
Nah, it was actually a reply to the previous post. That the History Bookclub is all lots of Nazi wanking shit. Lots of Nazi wanking shit.

What happened to that thread anyway?  :hmm:

fixed.
Civis Romanus Sum

Norgy

Hunting Evil by Guy Walters. I knew he was a fairly feeble writer, having read his attempt at fiction. His research and legwork is probably good, but reading Walters is sometimes painful.

Still, it's a decent enough book, and one where Walters sides with the holocaust deniers (and a few others) and their take on Simon Wiesenthal.

Also read Harald Hardrada - The Warrior's Way by John Marsden. It's a shame that you need to read a book about a Norwegian king in English, but apparently, only books that can also serve as required reading in universities are published by Norwegian historians. I have no idea of who Marsden is, and I haven't bother to Google him. There are no "new" findings in the books, except that Harald Hardrada probably wasn't just a mean cunt, but also a bit of a cock. A different narrative, and with some unorthodox interpretations of the sagas.