News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I read the first Time's Tapestry Book by Stephen Baxter.  It is fiction and set in Roman Britain.  Some sort of Prophecy that is later revealed to be a message from the future imploring this family to kill Constantine the Great before he makes Christianity the imperial cult.

I read The Big U by Neil Stephenson.  That was funny as hell.  Old book, recommend it.
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

About half way through the novel of "Let The Right One In" creepier and more disturbing than the movie. So far it seems like the movie is a good adaptation, in that they've (to paraphrase the great Dickie Dunn) "got the spirit of the thing". :thumbsup:!
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 29, 2010, 11:29:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 06:38:57 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2010, 05:42:51 PM
.  Yamamoto knows nagumo is over his head and that Kurita is the man for the job
Kurita is always the man for the job.
Marik rules.
Davion!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

'The Utility of Force' by General Sir Rupert Smith.  Very interesting book, I'd recommend it.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 03, 2010, 09:37:15 AM
I read the first Time's Tapestry Book by Stephen Baxter.  It is fiction and set in Roman Britain.  Some sort of Prophecy that is later revealed to be a message from the future imploring this family to kill Constantine the Great before he makes Christianity the imperial cult.

If a time traveler wanted to get rid of a religion, why wouldn't he go all the way back to the source. There are tens of millions of Christians at this point.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 07:49:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 03, 2010, 09:37:15 AM

If a time traveler wanted to get rid of a religion, why wouldn't he go all the way back to the source. There are tens of millions of Christians at this point.
Preventing Christianity from being turned into the tools of the State isn't the same as erasing it all together. 
PDH!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on February 01, 2010, 05:44:26 PM

And there was an awful lot of Latin in the book.  :perv:

Next up The Koran :osama:

Now I want to blow up a bus of innocent schoolchildren :osama:

The version available on Gutenberg is from the beginning of the 20th century and the translator gives a very frank assessment of some of the Sutras in the explanatory notes.  My personal favorite is the one where Allah gives Mohammed permission to break his oath to one of his wives and thereby to keep his favorite concubine.

One interesting note that the translator made was that the 72 Houris are only found in the Sutras written when Mohammed had one wife (and I believe she was several years older than him.)  In the Sturas written when he had nine wives (plus numerous slaves) heaven is depicted as more like a Persian bath.

Next up:  The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch, Hui Neng
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on February 04, 2010, 02:36:31 PM

Next up:  The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch, Hui Neng

Well that was short, sweet and to the void.   :mellow:

I learned that "Teh" is "Rightness of mind."  Berkut's posts have taken on a new profundity. :mellow:

Next up The Philosophy of Tolkien by Peter Kreeft.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Just started in on The Howard Zinn Reader, a collection of essays and articles.

Dude was pretty freakin pink.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on February 04, 2010, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 01, 2010, 05:44:26 PM

And there was an awful lot of Latin in the book.  :perv:

Next up The Koran :osama:

Now I want to blow up a bus of innocent schoolchildren :osama:

The version available on Gutenberg is from the beginning of the 20th century and the translator gives a very frank assessment of some of the Sutras in the explanatory notes.  My personal favorite is the one where Allah gives Mohammed permission to break his oath to one of his wives and thereby to keep his favorite concubine.

One interesting note that the translator made was that the 72 Houris are only found in the Sutras written when Mohammed had one wife (and I believe she was several years older than him.)  In the Sturas written when he had nine wives (plus numerous slaves) heaven is depicted as more like a Persian bath.
Why are they giants? :unsure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri#Description

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Sav, I think it's called Sura in the Koran, not Sutra or Stura. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien