News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 07:37:02 PM
Come on! That's fucking nerd gold right there.

After all House Kurita is directly descended from that Admiral.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Your use of Star Trek images in response strips you of any anti-nerd credibility.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 07:38:39 PM
Your use of Star Trek images in response strips you of any anti-nerd credibility.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2010, 11:47:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 23, 2010, 07:25:49 PM
For Fantasy, the Joe Abercrombie books are pretty good. The blade itself is the first one.

I second this; I actually prefer Abercrombie to Martin. For one, he finishes his series.  ;)

I enjoyed Abercrombie, but I felt let down by the ending of the series (the The Blade Itself one).  I'm not reading more of his stuff as a result.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 07:38:39 PM

He didn't have any to begin with.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I enjoyed Sundiver a fair bit. Started with Startide Rising now, though the concept of Dolphin led spaceships is a bit weird if fun. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 29, 2010, 05:07:13 AM
I enjoyed Sundiver a fair bit. Started with Startide Rising now, though the concept of Dolphin led spaceships is a bit weird if fun. :lol:
The Uplift War books are a lot of fun.  The second trilogy takes much, much longer to get going, but is worth it in the end.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 29, 2010, 12:01:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2010, 11:47:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 23, 2010, 07:25:49 PM
For Fantasy, the Joe Abercrombie books are pretty good. The blade itself is the first one.

I second this; I actually prefer Abercrombie to Martin. For one, he finishes his series.  ;)

I enjoyed Abercrombie, but I felt let down by the ending of the series (the The Blade Itself one).  I'm not reading more of his stuff as a result.

Really? I kind liked how he wrapped it all up.

I'm curious. What was so disappointing, as to preclude ever reading anything by him again? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2010, 09:04:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 29, 2010, 05:07:13 AM
The Uplift War books are a lot of fun.  The second trilogy takes much, much longer to get going, but is worth it in the end.

Yes, enjoying it a fair bit so far. I'm in a bit of a space adventure/opera mood lately, with the arrival of ME2 and just finishing my third round in ME1 (first one on PC - picked the game originally on XBox, then for PC when it was down to 10 EUR).

The Uplift books and ME made me wonder, though, why there's often rather outlandish aliens or entities in sci-fi books while fantasy novels mostly seem to make do with the tried and true stock races from Tolkien, with some variations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

Just finished "Confederate Emancipation" by Bruce Levine.  An interesting look at the evolution of plans to arm slaves, and how the CSA's political setup made the idea unthinkable until it was too late to do any good.
http://bit.ly/b5hJIy

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 05:05:20 AM
Does there need to be a real economic incentive? As long as the Nazi's wacked out ideology says so and they successfully indoctrinate the people it will be done.
Yes.  In the end, economics will usually trump ideology.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2010, 06:38:57 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2010, 05:42:51 PM
.  Yamamoto knows nagumo is over his head and that Kurita is the man for the job
Kurita is always the man for the job.
Marik rules.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on January 27, 2010, 07:55:14 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 27, 2010, 03:29:51 PM
Next up: The Kojiki.

I have the turn of the century translation available on Gutenberg.  The author translated all the smutty parts into Latin.  I should have studied Latin better since the text reads like "God and Goddess meet and then LATIN LATIN LATIN and the child was born.

And there was an awful lot of Latin in the book.  :perv:

Next up The Koran :osama:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Anything good on the Sino-Japanese war in the 30's and 40's? Playing HoI3 as Japan makes me want to read on the subject.