News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Reading Procopius's History of the Wars.  It is the single most awesome book in the entire history of awesome.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2010, 02:30:28 PM
Reading Procopius's History of the Wars.  It is the single most awesome book in the entire history of awesome.

I'd have thought you'd have preferred his Secret History.

For one, it's reminiscent of the doings of your beloved Detroit politicians.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2010, 03:03:02 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2010, 02:30:28 PM

I'd have thought you'd have preferred his Secret History.

For one, it's reminiscent of the doings of your beloved Detroit politicians.  :D

That's next on the list.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I got a question:

Can anyone recommend some good and reasonably modern Fantasy and/or Military SF? I am currently reading the Song of Ice and Fire books, one of the few things in these genres that I've read that's written after 1985.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Picked up The Good Soldier Svejk and The Candy Bombers, about the Berlin airlift.  After which I ate A GODDAMN CHICKEN SANDWICH.

Fun fact from The Candy Bombers: in July 45 92% of infants born in Berlin hospitals did not live past 10 days.  Couple ways to parse that I suppose.  Infanticide by rape victims?  Only problem births took place in hospitals?

Alatriste

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2010, 01:28:53 PM
Picked up The Good Soldier Svejk and The Candy Bombers, about the Berlin airlift.  After which I ate A GODDAMN CHICKEN SANDWICH.

Fun fact from The Candy Bombers: in July 45 92% of infants born in Berlin hospitals did not live past 10 days.  Couple ways to parse that I suppose.  Infanticide by rape victims?  Only problem births took place in hospitals?

I hate to tell you the truth, but the story about the Fuhrer ordering women to give birth in nine weeks is a myth. A baby born in July 45 was conceived in October 44...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alatriste on January 23, 2010, 02:48:33 PM
I hate to tell you the truth, but the story about the Fuhrer ordering women to give birth in nine weeks is a myth. A baby born in July 45 was conceived in October 44...
THAT GODDAMN SANDWICH MADE ME A RETARD.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Another fun fact from Candy Bombers: UN says a working male needs 2,650 calories a day.  During the Great Depression Americans consumed an average of 3,260 calories a day.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2010, 03:35:34 PM
Another fun fact from Candy Bombers: UN says a working male needs 2,650 calories a day.  During the Great Depression Americans consumed an average of 3,260 calories a day.

Piggish americans.  :mad:

Another useless trivia bit. American Gedunk vessels could produce 5,000 gallons of ice cream an hour during WWII.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: The Brain on January 23, 2010, 04:38:02 AM
I got a question:

Can anyone recommend some good and reasonably modern Fantasy and/or Military SF? I am currently reading the Song of Ice and Fire books, one of the few things in these genres that I've read that's written after 1985.

John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and it's sequels. fast reading galaxy spanning SF with a touch more than a hint of SS Troopers era Heinlein.
:p

Sheilbh

During the war the ration for a man was around 3000 a day, I thought that was the UN recommendation too :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

The Magus.  I love it, but making very slow progress. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Cecil

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2010, 04:44:40 PM
During the war the ration for a man was around 3000 a day, I thought that was the UN recommendation too :mellow:

During the depression and the war I think most ppl didnt spend all day long sitting on their fat asses. :lol:. Work is a lot more sedentary today.