News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 08:16:38 PM
I'm getting ready to read "The Memoirs of William Tecumseh Sherman", as well as his collected correspondences.
Anyone have any recommendations for Sherman biographies? I'd prefer as balanced or as pro-Sherman as possible.

Wait, there are people who are anti-Sherman?  Good Lord!  Who are they, Iranians?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 01, 2009, 05:56:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2009, 03:40:23 PM
It's very silly.  The author seems to think that the Germans and Dutch would be lousy soldiers.  Something I do happen to agree with,  though I think they would be poor soliders I don't think they would simply fold with the idiotic Luneburg thingy.  One interesting thing is that the author does not name any military hardware.  We now know what the Soviet Union's plans and it involved lots of nukes.  Nukes never seem to be a major element in these stories of Warsaw Pact vs Nato.

Try the short stories.

What short stories?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Just finished South to Posterity, and Panzer Leader. Jumping back into Flannery O'Conner's collected works, which I can only ever read a few of at a time.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

syk

Just read A.S. Neill's "Last Man Alive" again, a favourite from my childhood. Raw, bloody, anarchic and pretty funny for all ages. Just found that there's a website with the whole book. http://members.tripod.com/thelastmanalive/home.html

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 07, 2009, 08:07:31 PMJumping back into Flannery O'Conner's collected works, which I can only ever read a few of at a time.

Yeah, she's quite the downer sometimes.

Scipio

I'm getting ready to read "The Memoirs of William Tecumseh Sherman", as well as his collected correspondences.
Anyone have any recommendations for Sherman biographies? I'd prefer as balanced or as pro-Sherman as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherman-Soldiers-John-F-Marszalek/dp/0809327856/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239189892&sr=8-24
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

Translation of the Shahnameh Sheilbh linked to.  Fascinating stuff; love how some of the most ancient memories survive (mace-wielding pastoral-nomadist conqueror Feraydun, raised by a holy bull named "Barmayeh", reminiscient of both Romulus and Indian mythology), while all of Median and Achaemenid history seems to be a blur far more distant than the Levant is to the Old Testament.  I think the Arab kind with "twin snakes" coming out of his shoulders (a surprisingly disturbing image) might be some kind of memory of the Neo-Assyrians, with the twin snakes perhaps relating to the wings of a lamassu, though this is pure speculation). 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Finished The Road. Been a while since I tore through a book in just a few days.

Very good book, but I'll have to think about whether or not I liked the positive twist at the end.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on April 08, 2009, 06:26:47 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Sherman-Soldiers-John-F-Marszalek/dp/0809327856/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239189892&sr=8-24

Thanks counselor.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2009, 02:10:19 AM
Very good book, but I'll have to think about whether or not I liked the positive twist at the end.

If anything it was refreshing after the non-stop depression that book induced in me.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

lustindarkness

World War Z, An Oral History Of The Zombie War. Surprisingly good.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Oh, also read The Bear and the Dragon(?), I think the only Tom Clancy Jack Ryan novel I have not read is Red Rabbit. I like his books, (so does hollywood <_<)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

Halfway through Dawkins' The God Delusion, and I just received Hitchens' God Is Not Great in the mail today. :thumbsup:
Hitchens is my favorite asshole. :wub:

Sheilbh

I prefer Hitchens' argument.  Even if God exists I'm still opposed to him :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 10:06:46 PM
I prefer Hitchens' argument.  Even if God exists I'm still opposed to him :lol:
Yes, he is quite adamant about it.  :D