News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syk

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 01:39:45 PM
Haven't finished it, but I've been reading the newest Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Book.

It's interesting.  It's almost a 'greatest hits' book, since all kinds of characters from the past are making an appearance.  Zaphod Beeblebrox and the Heart of Gold for one.  Wowbanger the Infinitely Prolonged has become a major character (with a surprisingly good explanation on why he's trying to insult the entire universe).

But there was a fun scene where 'everyone's favourite octopus god' is nervously interviewing to be the new chief diety of a new human colony.   :lol:
How does the writing style compare to Adams' original works?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on January 12, 2010, 11:05:56 AM
Can anybody recommend a good book or two on the Russian Civil War?
Red Victory.  Forgot the author.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2010, 01:52:05 PM
Red Victory.  Forgot the author.

W. Bruce Lincoln.  Will have to contact the library as it seems unavailable in Kindle edition.

...but it is at the library, it turns out.

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on January 12, 2010, 02:08:10 PM
W. Bruce Lincoln.  Will have to contact the library as it seems unavailable in Kindle edition.

...but it is at the library, it turns out.

That one won't actually tell you much about the RCW, I found.  I prefer Evan Mawdsley's work "The Russian Civil War" to it.  If you want something more fun to read, I suggest "The White Generals" by Richard Luckett.  It's older, but there's a lot more actual information since it documents the individuals rather than the entirety.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Pat

I found this to be a very good read, though it's about Ungern-Sternberg in specific and not about the civil war in general:

http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-White-Baron-Extraordinary-Nobleman/dp/0465014488/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263338622&sr=8-1

ulmont

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on January 12, 2010, 06:19:34 PM
That one won't actually tell you much about the RCW, I found.  I prefer Evan Mawdsley's work "The Russian Civil War" to it.  If you want something more fun to read, I suggest "The White Generals" by Richard Luckett.  It's older, but there's a lot more actual information since it documents the individuals rather than the entirety.

Thanks.  A shame more of these aren't available electronically.

Barrister

Quote from: syk on January 12, 2010, 11:12:43 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 01:39:45 PM
Haven't finished it, but I've been reading the newest Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Book.

It's interesting.  It's almost a 'greatest hits' book, since all kinds of characters from the past are making an appearance.  Zaphod Beeblebrox and the Heart of Gold for one.  Wowbanger the Infinitely Prolonged has become a major character (with a surprisingly good explanation on why he's trying to insult the entire universe).

But there was a fun scene where 'everyone's favourite octopus god' is nervously interviewing to be the new chief diety of a new human colony.   :lol:
How does the writing style compare to Adams' original works?

It's close.  I'm just not sure if it's merely copying.  As I said he's going over a lot of the same ground.  It's probably much closer in writing style to the first book or two, with numerous asides about what the Guide says about this subject or that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2010, 06:21:19 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 12, 2010, 06:19:34 PM
That one won't actually tell you much about the RCW, I found.
?

As far as its self-proclaimed "A history of the Russian Civil War" subtitle goes, I found it to be, well, half the truth.  Half, specifically because it was primarily focused on the internal machinations of Lenin and the Bolsheviks along with a heaping helping of social and political information.  It was not at all a military history of the conflict and I recall reading very, very little about the White side of things in the tome except where the Reds gave their variegated opinions about the White movements.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 12, 2010, 06:49:53 PM
As far as its self-proclaimed "A history of the Russian Civil War" subtitle goes, I found it to be, well, half the truth.  Half, specifically because it was primarily focused on the internal machinations of Lenin and the Bolsheviks along with a heaping helping of social and political information.  It was not at all a military history of the conflict and I recall reading very, very little about the White side of things in the tome except where the Reds gave their variegated opinions about the White movements.
That sounds *nothing* like the book I have in mind.  You sure we're talking about the same book?  Cover is a poster illustration of Red Guard?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

44 cent used copy...ordered. If it sucks, I will jam its proletariat up somebody's ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien