News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Deadly Quicksilver Lies by Glen Cook. Rather mediocre Garrett mystery.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2010, 10:52:53 AM

Yeah, that series is played out.  I like his "Instrumentalities of the Night" recent series, though.

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on January 07, 2010, 11:22:12 AM

Yeah, that series is played out.  I like his "Instrumentalities of the Night" recent series, though.

That is his one series I just can't get into.

Faeelin

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 07, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
and Farm to Factory: A Reinterpretation of the Soviet Industrial Revolution

Dry stuff, and I fear the latter is written by a crypto-communist or at the very least someone soft on the reds, but its a subject I need to expand my knowledge of.

:lol:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy

Syt

I finally ordered Brin's Uplift Trilogy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

India After Gandhi:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/India-After-Gandhi-History-Democracy/dp/0230016545
A very good book though difficult because so much of post-Independence Indian history is quite alien to me, so I kept on forgetting which person was which and which party was which and so on.  So it involved flicking back a fair few points to re-acquaint myself.  Though strongly recommended.

It's also whet my appetite.  Does anyone know if there's a good English language history of Indira Gandhi?  I don't really want a biography that focuses too much on her but a history of her within her time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on January 07, 2010, 11:48:02 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on January 07, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
and Farm to Factory: A Reinterpretation of the Soviet Industrial Revolution

Dry stuff, and I fear the latter is written by a crypto-communist or at the very least someone soft on the reds, but its a subject I need to expand my knowledge of.

:lol:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy

I tried to slog through that one.  Man that's fucking dry.  You have so many people operating in a government that nobody actually understands how it works.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Petty Pewter Gods by the same guy. Everybody's favorite internet octopus god gets mentioned.

A bit better than the last book in the series.

syk

Read that first Witcher book. It was entertaining.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

syk

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2010, 11:00:30 AM
Quote from: syk on January 11, 2010, 10:45:45 AM
Read that first Witcher book. It was entertaining.

Start reading this:
http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline.php?title=walking_dead_001&page=cover
I might do that. The reviews were good. But first I have the 2nd Witcher book and Frank Schätzing's "Der Schwarm" on my list.

Barrister

Haven't finished it, but I've been reading the newest Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Book.

It's interesting.  It's almost a 'greatest hits' book, since all kinds of characters from the past are making an appearance.  Zaphod Beeblebrox and the Heart of Gold for one.  Wowbanger the Infinitely Prolonged has become a major character (with a surprisingly good explanation on why he's trying to insult the entire universe).

But there was a fun scene where 'everyone's favourite octopus god' is nervously interviewing to be the new chief diety of a new human colony.   :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

BuddhaRhubarb

Finished Ondaatje's "Divisadero". Well written but not as engaging as any of his earlier books that I've read.

Started John Scalzi's sequel to Old Man's War - "Ghost Brigades" also reading coffee table books I got used yesterday: "Pirates an Illustrated History" (bare bones stuff, not much new, but well presented, fun pictures, drawings.) and a pamphlet/magazine called "Raincoast Chronicles" that has interesting histories of local Native tribes and frontier living in the Vancouver region. Cool piece on local petroglyphs and others I haven't got to including Rum Running back in Prohibition era.
:p

Lettow77

Farm to Factory: a new look at soviet industrialisation.

Part of my ongoing close scrutiny at Russia and Communism. The author I think may be slightly pink himself, but it is still enlightening.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

ulmont

Can anybody recommend a good book or two on the Russian Civil War?