News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2009, 02:06:56 PM
Been reading Beevor's D-Day battle of Normandy.  CdM would approve of the very critical look at the British army.  Apparently different fighting arms didn't like to support each other very much.  Infantry wouldn't help the engineers dig holes and engineers wouldn't pick up their rifles when people were shooting at them.  Also way to much tea drinking.   He has very high praise for the Canadians.  He made an interesting claim that 3% of the casualties suffered by the 115th infantry regiment were due to friendly fire from a Texas national guard unit who had a bad habit of shooting anything that moved.

Monty is still outside of Caen awaiting developments.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2009, 02:07:52 PM
Been reading Beevor's D-Day battle of Normandy.  CdM would approve of the very critical look at the British army.  Apparently different fighting arms didn't like to support each other very much.  Infantry wouldn't help the engineers dig holes and engineers wouldn't pick up their rifles when people were shooting at them.  Also way to much tea drinking.   He has very high praise for the Canadians.  He made an interesting claim that 3% of the casualties suffered by the 115th infantry regiment were due to friendly fire from a Texas national guard unit who had a bad habit of shooting anything that moved.

He's the Brits' greatest general since the Black Prince.  He'll have things sorted out just you wait.  Allowing the Jerries to march their entire army out of the Falaise gap was all part of the plan.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 06, 2009, 04:31:00 PM
Been reading Beevor's D-Day battle of Normandy.  CdM would approve of the very critical look at the British army.  Apparently different fighting arms didn't like to support each other very much.  Infantry wouldn't help the engineers dig holes and engineers wouldn't pick up their rifles when people were shooting at them.  Also way to much tea drinking.   He has very high praise for the Canadians.  He made an interesting claim that 3% of the casualties suffered by the 115th infantry regiment were due to friendly fire from a Texas national guard unit who had a bad habit of shooting anything that moved.

He's the Brits' greatest general since the Black Prince.  He'll have things sorted out just you wait.  Allowing the Jerries to march their entire army out of the Falaise gap was all part of the plan.

That Market Garden plan was sheer genius. XXX Corps attack along one narrow road? AWESOME.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

"Goodwood." lol
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Beevor does point out that the "drop all the bombs all over the city of Caen" wasn't conductive with capturing it on the first day and speculates if Monty really did intend to capture it on the first day at all.  Or that first week.  Or that first month...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Looking for a book on Hinduism and the English Civil War and the Commonwealth.  Suggestions?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on November 06, 2009, 08:36:45 PM
Looking for a book on Hinduism and the English Civil War and the Commonwealth.  Suggestions?

From my Stuart thread a bit ago.

Michael Braddick God's Fury, England's Fire: A New History of the English Civil Wars

I like this one although I've not finished reading it. I think I like it because it is dense.

And then near the beginning of that thread, books were suggested from the Unhappy Charles game

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=467

That's assuming though that you didn't mean a book about Hinduism and the English Civil War. :tinfoil:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Just about finished the Game of Thrones series.

*mild spoiler alert*

I am liking the series but he is a bit too consistent in that fact that usually anything that can go wrong does (except for one notable character of course).  the story has become a bit too predictable in his attempts to provide an unpredicable outcome.  So for example there was a lot of lead up to Rob going back the Freys to apologize.  But the reader knows that it will not end well and as the event comes closer it becomes more and more obvious.

But that minor problem aside, if anyone hasnt yet read the series (I may be the only one left here) I do recommend it.

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2009, 12:43:20 PM
if anyone hasnt yet read the series (I may be the only one left here) I do recommend it.

Don't do it!  There's no way George R. R. Martin is ever going to finish this series, so you're only setting yourself up for pain.

Razgovory

I working on that 30 years war book that was discussed here a month or so ago.  It's pretty tough going.  I suspect the author is Catholic since everything seems to be the protestants fault.  But then, that might be true.  Personally I blame the reformation for Marxism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2009, 02:41:14 PM
I suspect the author is Catholic since everything seems to be the protestants fault.  But then, that might be true.

No protestants = no 30 year war.

LaCroix

Quote from: ulmont on December 09, 2009, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2009, 12:43:20 PM
if anyone hasnt yet read the series (I may be the only one left here) I do recommend it.

Don't do it!  There's no way George R. R. Martin is ever going to finish this series, so you're only setting yourself up for pain.
i don't see why not; he's young, fit, and healthy

ulmont

Quote from: Lacroix on December 09, 2009, 02:48:45 PM
i don't see why not; he's young, fit, and healthy

He's 61 years old and fat.  The heart attack is imminent.