News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2024, 09:16:49 AMWhat sets it apart?

Fascinating, unique characters and a grimdark setting that makes Game of Thrones seem like a Disney musical. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2024, 03:20:26 PM

Fascinating, unique characters and a grimdark setting that makes Game of Thrones seem like a Disney musical. 

I will pick it up

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2024, 04:04:29 PM

I will pick it up

Let us know what you think.  It's okay if you don't like it.  It's not for everyone, especially at the beginning when you don't know why anyone is doing what they are doing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Gups on October 25, 2024, 02:29:48 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2024, 04:45:08 PMJoe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy is now out in Kindle Unlimited, for those that have the service and haven't read the books yet.  Very highly recommended.

Seconded. Pretty much the only decent fantasy books I've come across in the last 10 years or so.

thirded.
Found the ending of the first trilogy a bit a 'wtf' at the time, but it fit the universe. Will need to pick this up again as I got derailed after 'Best Served Cold' which I enjoyed a lot too.

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 25, 2024, 06:42:07 PMthirded.
Found the ending of the first trilogy a bit a 'wtf' at the time, but it fit the universe. Will need to pick this up again as I got derailed after 'Best Served Cold' which I enjoyed a lot too.

The Age of Madness trilogy (aka "First Law, the Next Generation") is even more powerful/dark/fascinating than the first trilogy.  It's presumption that a fictional society can go from medieval to Industrial Revolution in three decades is something you have to get over, though.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2024, 06:31:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2024, 04:04:29 PM

I will pick it up

Let us know what you think.  It's okay if you don't like it.  It's not for everyone, especially at the beginning when you don't know why anyone is doing what they are doing.

Will do, I am away this week but will dive into after that.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Gups

The final instalment in NAM Rodger's history of the British Navy has just been published

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien