News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

I finally started digging through my piles of books that I've been given for various holidays. Michael Scott's "The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)" might just need to disappear quietly.

The Comte de Saint-Germain as a disco star. Machiavelli in charge of the Direction Générale de la Sécurité Extérieure. 'Nuff said. :bleeding:
Experience bij!

PDH

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2009, 02:52:32 PM
I don't. I've no desire to run around Timmy fanwanks.
It is a good thing that there is a range then, that one might be able to read history that is not dispassionate, dry, and still be good history that Tim would hate because it is nuanced and intellectual.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on April 01, 2009, 07:14:15 PM
It is a good thing that there is a range then, that one might be able to read history that is not dispassionate, dry, and still be good history that Tim would hate because it is nuanced and intellectual.

How about you suggest a "nuanced and intellectual"  history and I'll read it and report back on whether I hate it or like it. I expect it will be the later.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alatriste

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2009, 09:44:43 AM
Napoleonic books recently:

Fighting Napoleon by Charles J. Esdaile. Supposedly an account of the guerrilla war in Spain, but spends the first 50 pages blabbering about previous works in the field and jabbering that English writers have generally ignored the Spanish viewpoint. CRY ME A FUCKING RIVER, YOU BLOWHARD. I stopped there.

Worst 4.98 spent in the last month.

How Far From Austerlitz?: Napoleon 1805-1815 by Alistair Horne. A generally entertaining read. However, suffers from English writer-itis.

Passable read.

I have read one Esdaille's book on guerrillas (perhaps the same) and it was really funny. In essence he proceeded to

a) Maintain that English writers have generally ignored the Spanish viewpoint.

b) Maintain that French writers had got all wrong, even those that had fought the guerrillas themselves in 1808-1814.

c) Maintain that guerrillas in fact had been counterproductive and caused more harm to the Allies than to the French.

I found the thesis very weak. Esdaille found easily contemporary sources telling that guerrillas did rob and abuse the peasants, conscript young men against their will, hide in the hills and rarely fight the French, encourage desertion from regular army units that couldn't enforce discipline without causing men to leave ranks and join the guerrillas, etc, etc... but such a view is so unconsistent with French sources from the period that I couldn't take them seriously.

War is a nasty business and guerrilla war is even nastier, but jumping from that nastiness to concluding that guerrillas actually helped the French because they turned the peasants against the Allies and eroded regular army's disicpline, as Esdaille does, is a jump far too long.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Alatriste on April 02, 2009, 03:16:58 AM

I have read one Esdaille's book on guerrillas (perhaps the same) and it was really funny. In essence he proceeded to

a) Maintain that English writers have generally ignored the Spanish viewpoint.

b) Maintain that French writers had got all wrong, even those that had fought the guerrillas themselves in 1808-1814.

c) Maintain that guerrillas in fact had been counterproductive and caused more harm to the Allies than to the French.

I found the thesis very weak. Esdaille found easily contemporary sources telling that guerrillas did rob and abuse the peasants, conscript young men against their will, hide in the hills and rarely fight the French, encourage desertion from regular army units that couldn't enforce discipline without causing men to leave ranks and join the guerrillas, etc, etc... but such a view is so unconsistent with French sources from the period that I couldn't take them seriously.

War is a nasty business and guerrilla war is even nastier, but jumping from that nastiness to concluding that guerrillas actually helped the French because they turned the peasants against the Allies and eroded regular army's disicpline, as Esdaille does, is a jump far too long.

I didn't even get  to his other 2 theories. The dude's writing was so annoying and whiny, I gave up. I'll give it another try, since the meat of his argument does sound hilarious.

If I still had my 'Cavalcade of Crap" thread, it would go in there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Very amusing. I quite recommend it.  :bowler:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Bought two more books today. :weep:

McCarthy's The Road
Robert Dallek: Nixon and Kissinger - Partners in Power (I also consider picking up his "John F. Kennedy - an unfinished Life")
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 10:28:58 AM
Robert Dallek: Nixon and Kissinger - Partners in Power (I also consider picking up his "John F. Kennedy - an unfinished Life")

How did he get enough time off from battling the Doctor to write a book?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Been reading some college textbooks on the Holocaust. So depressing.  :cry:

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I'm getting ready to read "The Memoirs of William Tecumseh Sherman", as well as his collected correspondences.
Anyone have any recommendations for Sherman biographies? I'd prefer as balanced or as pro-Sherman as possible.

Alatriste

Quote from: Savonarola on April 06, 2009, 03:27:57 PM

How did he get enough time off from battling the Doctor to write a book?  :unsure:

Any AI worth its salt should be able to find 4 alien civilizations, decypher the structure of 8 complex proteines and calculate the exact value of pi to the 10^45 decimal between one word spoken by the doctor and the next.

Korea

I started reading the 52 series again. One of my favorites!

Um, I forgot to check if we have the comic thread. Oops.
I want my mother fucking points!

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on April 06, 2009, 03:27:57 PM

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 08:16:38 PM
I'm getting ready to read "The Memoirs of William Tecumseh Sherman", as well as his collected correspondences.
Anyone have any recommendations for Sherman biographies? I'd prefer as balanced or as pro-Sherman as possible.

Sherman is very quotable. My favorite:

Quote"Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk, and now we stand by each other."

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Let me know how that is.  I've almost bought it a few times.  I enjoyed the JFK biography.  I think it's fairer than the worship or pseudo-intellectual denigration - which is the historical equivalent of theatre that just tries to shock.

I'm reading 'A History of Histories' at the minute.  At the start of the Christian era (about a third of the way through), an excellent book.  It's problem is that it makes me want to then read the books which is expanding my never quelled amazon wish list :(
Let's bomb Russia!