News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2022, 09:33:18 AM
Thus far, it's definitely the tidiest narrative of that era of the EIC that I've read. He keeps everything flowing properly, doesn't confuse the reader with too many terms at the same time, and has been doing an excellent job of putting the Company's actions in context of what's going on with the rest of India.

Working on deepening those Pax Pamir / Johns Company skills, I see...  :shifty:
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

I have to prepare for the release of John Company 2nd ed., yes.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

:lol: I made the mistake of going on to Goodreads and seeing what the 1-star reviews had to say. It's awash in Hindu nationalists who clearly haven't read the book and are furious that Dalrymple portrays the Mughals as anything other than bloodthirsty, Hindu-genociding savages.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

The Last Dying Light, A novel of Belisarius
(Last of the Romans book #1)

It's an historical novel, and I think it's my first in English, a non sci-fi/fantasy novel.

It's about the Byzantine Empire, about a slave who became General, who challenged an Emp... nah.  :P

I thought it would be interesting as the Eastern Roman Empire is not something I am that well versed in, compared to the Western part of the Empire.  My latin classes focused on Pompeii and Rome after all. :)

Despite the title, it ain't much about Belisarius.  In the first novel, you see him a quarter of the way in, for a few lines, as he intervenes to secure the last leg of the hero's journey saving the future Empress Theodora from a riot in Constantinople.
He later reappears to fight the Avars in Crimea, with our hero.

So, the book focuses on Varus, at the beginning, a slave to Roman Emperor Justin.  Despite his status as a slave, he and his brother have received decent education and martial training.  After saving the future empress from a mob, he is granted his freedom and offered the choice to merrily go in his way or join the army to fight for Justin&Justinian's dreams of recreating the full Roman Empire.

Varus is an historical character, a Byzantine general of Heruli origins who rose the ranks to command an Heruli foederati (which he does in the 2nd book), fighting in Persia, among other things.  He is mentioned by Procopius, but I can't find much more than that. 

The author freely admits that he changed the order of some events, sometimes placed historical characters where they weren't and of course, added some new characters.

All in all, it's a good book about the Byzantine life of the early 6th century and some of its military campaigns.  I still prefer some good SW books over this ;) , but it's a pretty interesting read.  2.99$/books on Amazon Kindle.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command

https://www.amazon.com/Rules-Game-Jutland-British-Command/dp/1591143365/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1642604380&sr=8-1

My latest audible book. It is detailed, VERY detailed, tear apart of the Battle of Jutland. Tries to pick apart a lot of the controversy - seems pretty even handed to me so far.

But it goes into GREAT detail. Like....minute by minute analysis of the opening moments of the battle, how the BCF was deployed, signalling, who order who to do what, why, and when.

Then it breaks off, and spends some hours of narration talking about the Victorian Navy, the long peace, and how that effected who was rewarded, who was promoted, and why the men who ended up in charge at Jutland were THOSE men, instead of some other men, and how their training and culture resulted in the leadership that the British Navy ended up with.

I freaking love this kind of shit, but I could imagine a lot of people falling asleep once they get into the nuance of why Beatty signalled this instead of that at minute XYZ, and whether or not it was obeyed immediately, and if not, why not, etc., etc., etc.

Highly recommend if you like this kind of thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Gups

Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2022, 09:30:01 AM

It's an historical novel, and I think it's my first in English, a non sci-fi/fantasy novel.

It's about the Byzantine Empire, about a slave who became General, who challenged an Emp... nah.  :P

I thought it would be interesting as the Eastern Roman Empire is not something I am that well versed in, compared to the Western part of the Empire.  My latin classes focused on Pompeii and Rome after all. :)

Despite the title, it ain't much about Belisarius.  In the first novel, you see him a quarter of the way in, for a few lines, as he intervenes to secure the last leg of the hero's journey saving the future Empress Theodora from a riot in Constantinople.

So, the book focuses on Varus, at the beginning, a slave to Roman Emperor Justin.  Despite his status as a slave, he and his brother have received decent education and martial training.  After saving the future empress from a mob, he is granted his freedom and offered the choice to merrily go in his way or join the army to fight for Justin&Justinian's dreams of recreating the full Roman Empire.

Varus is an historical character, a Byzantine general of Heruli origins who rose the ranks to command an Heruli foederati (which he does in the 2nd book), fighting in Persia, among other things.  He is mentioned by Procopius, but I can't find much more than that. 

The author freely admits that he changed the order of some events, sometimes placed historical characters where they weren't and of course, added some new characters.

All in all, it's a good book about the Byzantine life of the early 6th century and some of its military campaigns.  I still prefer some good SW books over this ;) , but it's a pretty interesting read.  2.99$/books on Amazon Kindle.

Robert Graves write a novel on Belisarious. I remember it being very good, if not quite at the level of I, Claudius.

viper37

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on January 19, 2022, 10:32:32 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2022, 09:30:01 AM

Robert Graves write a novel on Belisarious. I remember it being very good, if not quite at the level of I, Claudius.

Yup, called Count Belisarius. I enjoyed it.

Main drawback was the character of Belisarius - too decent and honourable for his own good (or for the good of anyone else). Reading it, I kinda felt annoyed - everyone is telling him "overthrow Justinian already", and you aren't given much reason in the novel to disagree that this would be a good idea!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 19, 2022, 10:01:05 AM
The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command

https://www.amazon.com/Rules-Game-Jutland-British-Command/dp/1591143365/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1642604380&sr=8-1

My latest audible book. It is detailed, VERY detailed, tear apart of the Battle of Jutland. Tries to pick apart a lot of the controversy - seems pretty even handed to me so far.

But it goes into GREAT detail. Like....minute by minute analysis of the opening moments of the battle, how the BCF was deployed, signalling, who order who to do what, why, and when.

Then it breaks off, and spends some hours of narration talking about the Victorian Navy, the long peace, and how that effected who was rewarded, who was promoted, and why the men who ended up in charge at Jutland were THOSE men, instead of some other men, and how their training and culture resulted in the leadership that the British Navy ended up with.

I freaking love this kind of shit, but I could imagine a lot of people falling asleep once they get into the nuance of why Beatty signalled this instead of that at minute XYZ, and whether or not it was obeyed immediately, and if not, why not, etc., etc., etc.

Highly recommend if you like this kind of thing.

We've discussed that book several times here.  Glad you enjoyed it.

If you want some good outside-the-box WW2 naval reading, try The Royal Navy in Eastern Waters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07216DCX7/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1.  While the author over-eggs the pudding a bit with regard to his claims of being the only guy to figure out some of these things (a frequent problem with academic works extended into books), he does give some refreshing new insights on things like: why were HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales placed in such an exposed position at Singapore?  Conventional wisdom has it that this was just another of Winston Churchill's impulsive moves, but Boyd shows that it was the Admiralty who wanted them there; Churchill wanted them in Ceylon.

The book's main theme is that the Indian Ocean was the second-most-important British naval concern, for reasons that are largely ignored by more combat-centric histories.  I liked it a lot, and think that you would, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2022, 08:48:15 PM
The book's main theme is that the Indian Ocean was the second-most-important British naval concern, for reasons that are largely ignored by more combat-centric histories.  I liked it a lot, and think that you would, as well.

Interesting. What were those reasons? Commerce? Maintaining the Empire? Logistics?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2022, 09:20:40 PM
Interesting. What were those reasons? Commerce? Maintaining the Empire? Logistics?
Empire makes most sense to me. India was key not least because of the role of the Indian Army in enforcing imperial rule everywhere else (plus, obviously, fighting in all of Britain's wars).
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2022, 09:20:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2022, 08:48:15 PM

The oil refineries at Abadan fueled the entire empire war effort in the eastern hemisphere.  Plus, it was the supply line to the Middle East. 

It was ironic that the UK couldn't find the ships to create an eastern Fleet in late 1941 but could in early 1942, when they'd lost some of the key elements of it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

For the comic books graphic novels fans: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/humanoids-megabundle-featuring-incal-books

QuoteSci-fi masterpieces & groundbreaking graphic fiction

Get transported to one of the most influential sci-fi dystopias of all time in this megabundle from Humanoids! Discover the groundbreaking The Incal series by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius, then explore the wildest reaches of the universe in the The Metabarons saga. Add Space Bastards and more acclaimed graphic fiction to your collection, all while supporting comic creators through the Hero Initiative!

In case you missed them... The top two tiers of this megabundle include content from two past popular bundles from Humanoids: The Incal & More and Moebius & More.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

I read a collection of articles by Harriet Beecher Stowe about her time here in Florida.  In the Antebellum period Florida's economy centered around cotton grown in the panhandle.  During Reconstruction three of modern Florida's industry began to take shape, winter crops, tourism and wealthy northerners "Wintering" in Florida; Stowe was one such northerner.

While the panhandle was strongly Confederate territory (Florida has the dubious distinction of having slaveholders with the most slaves per capita); the peninsula was more Union, it's primary industries had been shipping and cattle rustling raising; both of which were damaged by the Confederacy.  (During the war the "Crackers" who raised cattle preferred to sell livestock to the Spaniards in Cuba, who paid in gold rather than the CSA who paid in Confederate money.)  During reconstruction some northerners (including Stowe's brother Charles Beecher) had the idea that pro-Union men would move in and overwhelm the unreconstructed southerners and repeat the Bleeding Kansas of the pre-Civil War era.  (Florida was referred to as "America's Italy" by this crowd.  That reminded me of a quote from "The Third Man.")  A number of Stowe's articles try to sell Florida as a beautiful land of opportunity.  "Opportunity" was plausible; Florida was so underpopulated at the time that homesteading was still a practice here.  "Beautiful" is more of a stretch; Stowe only lived here during the winters and returned to New England for the summer.  Of course the plan didn't pan out; for obvious reasons northerners didn't move down here full time in any number until the era of DDT and air conditioning.

Regardless the articles are interesting.  Stowe did have a sharp eye for detail, especially in nature.  She was an early advocate for the environment and inspired some of the first restrictions on shooting birds in Florida.  You can tell she came from a family of preachers as she'll sometimes slip into a sermon.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock