Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Alright the fad is getting dull:

After Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and Sense & Sensibility & Seamonsters comes:

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter

QuoteThere were many staff at Kensington Palace, fulfilling many roles; a man who was employed to catch rats, another whose job it was to sweep the chimneys. That there was someone expected to hunt Demons did not shock the new Queen; that it was to be her was something of a surprise.

London, 1838. Queen Victoria is crowned; she receives the orb, the sceptre, and an arsenal of blood-stained weaponry. Because if Britain is about to become the greatest power of the age, there s the small matter of the demons to take care of first...

But rather than dreaming of demon hunting, it is her love for Prince Albert that occupies her thoughts. Can she dedicate her life to saving her country when her heart belongs elsewhere?

With lashings of glistening entrails, decapitations, and foul demons, this masterly new portrait will give a fresh understanding of a remarkable woman, a legendary monarch, and quite possibly the best Demon Hunter the world has ever seen . . .

A E Moorat weaves a seamlessly lurid tapestry of royal biography, gothic horror and fist-gnawing comedy as he lifts the veil on what really took place on the dark and cobbled streets of 19th-century England.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Finishing off Saul David's book on the Zulu War of 1879; the part where he points out many of the discrepancies between the film Zulu and the actual people at Rorkes Drift is particularly interesting. And I hadn't read a proper account of the attempted scapegoating of Durnford before, so I am surfeited with new knowledge of absolutely no use to me given the Yi Rule.

I am honestly surprised, given my interests, that I have not read more about the War previously. Isandhlwana, Rorkes Drift and Ulundi were not the only interesting parts of the War, as I have now discovered.

I'd recommend the book even to those not interested in history.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

I've read alot of Ringo's other more traditional action/scifi series before, but wow, I can't imagine what reading this must be like.

It's like Cdm & Siege dropped acid and cowrote a book together, with Hansmiester as their political consultant.

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Pciked up yesterday: "The book without name" by Anonymous.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2009, 01:33:50 AM
I've read alot of Ringo's other more traditional action/scifi series before, but wow, I can't imagine what reading this must be like.

It's like Cdm & Siege dropped acid and cowrote a book together, with Hansmiester as their political consultant.

Man I had nightmares over that last night.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2009, 05:48:10 AM

Really? While the subject matter was disturbing, I thought the review was quite amusing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2009, 06:25:14 PM

Really? While the subject matter was disturbing, I thought the review was quite amusing.

The prose actually gave me nightmares.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2009, 06:30:35 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 22, 2009, 06:25:14 PM

The prose actually gave me nightmares.
What kind of nightmares?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

He was the last person on earth and the only thing to read was Baen books.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

I picked up zombie Robert Jordan's latest book as a gift for a friend. I'll read it out of duty, I started this in high school 16 years ago. 
PDH!

Queequeg

:lmfao:

I can't stop laughing.  OH JOHN RINGO NO!
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Wait.

The guy sets up his own little princely state in the Caucasus based upon the descendants of the Varangians where he fucks a harem of young women/girls every night, and you compare him to CDM?!

I am insulted.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

I checkd out Ghost ont he Baen website.  In the good old days of action thrillers the bad guys would have some plot to destroy the world or blow up the Washington Monument.

You know, something Evil.

In Ghost the cartoonish terrorists kidnap a bunch of American chicks to rape.  That's how this cabal including Syria, Libya, et al plan to strike out against the West. Kidnap some random kids and rape them. 

His bad guys actually thought they were really hardcore, like they were gonna blow up the motherfucking White House.  It was just so banal.

And a lot of it was the protagonists ruminations on how he has a Dark Side that he constantly has to keep in check.  The whoel thing would work better as one of those lame ass vampire novels.
PDH!

Pat

Been busy reading Swedish constitutional law, but also found time to acquaint myself with the authorship of Houellebecq, who is just brilliant, though he does have a tendency to write the same novel over and over.