News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

I saw this and had to share it since there are a few other people who read Dragonlance Back In The Day:
You cannot see attachments on this board.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Oexmelin

For those who are interested, the Cundill Prize just released its shortlist:

The Huxleys: An Intimate History of Evolution, Alison Bashford | The University of Chicago Press

Red Memory: Living, Remembering and Forgetting China's Cultural Revolution, Tania Branigan | Faber & Faber (UK), W. W. Norton (US)

The Declassification Engine: What History Reveals About America's Top Secrets, Matthew Connelly | Pantheon Books

The Perfection of Nature: Animals, Breeding, and Race in the Renaissance, Mackenzie Cooley | The University of Chicago Press

Queens of a Fallen World: The Lost Women of Augustine's Confessions, Kate Cooper | Basic Books (UK, US)

Dust on the Throne: The Search for Buddhism in India, Douglas Ober | Navayana

Charged: A History of Batteries and Lessons for a Clean Energy Future, James Morton Turner | University of Washington Press

The Madman in the White House: Sigmund Freud, Ambassador Bullit, and the Lost Psychobiography of Woodrow Wilson, Patrick Weil | Harvard University Press
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

The Cretan War, 1645-1671: The Venetian-Ottoman Struggle in the Mediterranean, by Mugnai. I had to stop reading this book a few pages into the introduction. The language is I suppose a kind of English, but not of a sort recognized in the English-speaking world. While it is possible with effort to understand what the author is trying to say, life is just too short. It's not the first time I have to abandon a Helion book on Italian history because of language issues. It's unfortunate that they are unwilling or unable to have a person look over the English before publishing; the subject matter is very interesting and not widely written about in this language. I looked at the credits and acknowledgments and there is no mention of an editor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

I have that book too and had the same issues. A damn shame. I'm sure a couple of weeks work by any competent English speaker could have sorted it out. Perhaps the print run was just too tiny to justify the expense  :(

mongers

Can one have too many dictionaries?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2023, 08:08:20 AMCan one have too many dictionaries?

Not if they eschew obfuscation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

'Into the Void' - the Geezer Butler autobiography, worth if for the admitted Spinal-Tapesque moments and the matter of fact descriptions of four working-class brummie  blokes have insane adventures in the world of 70s/80s rock and roll.

The Brain

What's a good (preferably in-print) edition of Poe's works? Not necessarily complete, but the major fiction and poetry ones at least.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2023, 03:57:10 PMWhat's a good (preferably in-print) edition of Poe's works? Not necessarily complete, but the major fiction and poetry ones at least.

Aw man - you just brought me back.  I read all of Poe's work as a kid in a set of 19th century prints my dad had - not first editions, but old.

I wonder what happened to them.  Maybe my dad still has them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I'd look for Oxord World Classics, Penguin Classics or Norton for a good well-annotated and edited collection with a decent introductory essay.

From a quick skim the 2003 Penguin Classics one seems to have a broader selection (or bigger text) as it's over 500 pages to the OWC 350 or so. The Norton is about 1,000 pages and seems fairly completist - poems, stories and letters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I got Lovecraft's works from Penguin Classics and they came with rich annotations that I found pretty insightful. Might be something like it exists for Poe from them?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I had to give up buying Penguins cuz the print is so damn small

Sheilbh

Might be of interest to folks here - new maor biography of Metternich just translated into English. Positive review by Christopher Clark:
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n19/christopher-clark/a-rock-of-order

Read elsewhere it's not just a new telling but based on a lot of archival research, so lots of major and minor points put in a slightly different context. Arguably a little revisionist as it's broadly sympathetic to Metternich.

Edit: One for the list for me - can feel myself going on a 19th century kick soon.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Stuart Maconie 'The Nanny State Made Me' - excellent entertainment.  :bowler:

Sophie Scholl

I breezed through The Jannisary Tree by Jason Goodwin. It's the first book of a little historical fiction detective series set in the 1830's Ottoman Empire with a eunuch court advisor/detective as the lead. I enjoyed it and plan on reading the rest of the series. Nice details on things and really makes the setting come alive with its details about food, clothing, wider culture, and the like.  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."