News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Re-reading LOTR for the first time in a long while, what struck me was 'The Shadow of the Past' is as near perfect a scene-setting chapter for a 'fantasy' novel as one could wish to find. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I don't know if you could get away with such a big and obvious exposition dump nowadays. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2020, 12:41:08 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2020, 12:15:11 PM
Quote from: Maladict on October 12, 2020, 08:44:22 AM
The question is why a Barnes and Noble clerk had to do a search for one of the best selling authors of the decade.

:lol:  You really think today's store clerks can name the top-selling authors of the decade?
This is one of the reasons why I think Waterstones survived (and is doing pretty well in the UK - started turning a profit again over the last 4-5 years) and Borders collapsed. Waterstones hire people who are into reading - so there's stuff like no central "corporate" list of recommendations, it's shaped by the staff in the store. Borders just employed bored teenagers :lol:
Yeah, have to say I haven't bought anything from Waterstones in years- and I think they did used to be just another shop in the past.
But they sure have a nice vibe about them these days.
Helps that the Newcastle shop is a super scenic building too
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah similar in the ones I visit. Obviously if possible I try to use an independent bookstore (:goodboy:) but there aren't enough of them around everywhere and Waterstones have definitely moved from just being a sort of book version of WH Smiths into as you say shops in nice buildings with good vibes and, generally, it feels like people who care.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

The Waterstones in Newcastle is pretty good, but my favourite is the one near the British Museum.
And Hatchards, which is owned by Waterstones.

The Brain

Read Holland's book as far as the surrender of France. I'll leave the rest for now, my focus right now is up to that point of the war. The book was OK, since Holland isn't a historian I didn't let minor problems (and they are minor) stop me. Most problems were things that weren't really wrong but could be misleading for someone who doesn't know much. There is little analysis, much of the book is individual human scenes taken from autobiographies etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Next up is The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West, by Frieser. The authour was (is?) with the Military History Research Office of the Bundeswehr, so I hope it will be a bit meatier.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2020, 04:06:10 PM
Next up is The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West, by Frieser. The authour was (is?) with the Military History Research Office of the Bundeswehr, so I hope it will be a bit meatier.

That one does look good.   :huh: at the Kindle price, though.  Let us know what you think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Finished They Thought they were Free..  The book is a series of interviews of 10 Nazis in post-war Germany.  What they thought of Nazism, why they joined the party, what they believed in etc.  First part is good, it's interesting to know what the rank-and-file Nazis thought.  2nd part is about the German "character".  That's much less good.  I'm wary of Sonderweg explanations and blanket statements about whole groups of people.  The third part is really odd: It's about why the American occupation failed and what can be done to save the soul of Germany (The book was published in 1955).  So basically that whole part is garbage.  Germany did change, but it took more than a few years.  Syt said it took about the two generations and I take his word for it.

Sadly, Germany seems more invested in the idea of a pluralistic democracy than America does these days and they certainly are more dedicated to the cause of peace. :(

In short: Raz does not recommend.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Lucky's Marine.

I like this one.  It's still fast food sci-fi, but I like it, I find it very funny :)

Lucky Lee Savage is a lance-corporal marine in the distant future.  There are various regional human power, among which, the Cardinal Order, the Empire (Lucky's faction) and the Union.  No one is the good guy here, for a change.  Only some are less worst than others :D

Lucky is a lance-corporal whose greatest fear is to be promoted ;)

Each marine has an integrated AI at their disposal, which controls various functions to their bodies, like combat stimulants and nanobots to repair physical damage or protect them from exposition to radiations or the vacuum of space.  Most damages, like a missing limb, can be repaired in some time.  Makes for grittier stories, with vivid, gorier descriptions.

Also, Lucky's AI seems unique in that it's the only AI able to speak and engage in coherent conversations.  And it's a smart-ass AI, often sarcastic, and constantly joking with Lucky.  At some point of the story, the AI is forked and integrated into another character and it makes for even funnier reading :D

They say you'll love this if you liked series like Firefly or Alien, and I tend to agree.  There's this constant sarcasm typical of Joss Whedon's humor, and a lot of actions typical of the Alien movies.

I highly recommend this one if you fall in the above categories, it makes for fun reading.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2020, 07:45:45 PM
Finished They Thought they were Free..  The book is a series of interviews of 10 Nazis in post-war Germany.  What they thought of Nazism, why they joined the party, what they believed in etc.  First part is good, it's interesting to know what the rank-and-file Nazis thought.  2nd part is about the German "character".  That's much less good.  I'm wary of Sonderweg explanations and blanket statements about whole groups of people.  The third part is really odd: It's about why the American occupation failed and what can be done to save the soul of Germany (The book was published in 1955).  So basically that whole part is garbage.  Germany did change, but it took more than a few years.  Syt said it took about the two generations and I take his word for it.

Sadly, Germany seems more invested in the idea of a pluralistic democracy than America does these days and they certainly are more dedicated to the cause of peace. :(

In short: Raz does not recommend.
On Sonderweg, I've recommended it before but I really recommend The Light That Failed.

One of the points the authors make is that in the post-Cold War Germany was the model, but there is a post-war/democratisation sonderweg in Germany which didn't really work in the context of CEE.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Inspired by The Brain, I picked up the Kindle version of Operation Red, an analysis of the fighting between Dunkirk and the French surrender.  I've never read an account of that period that went into any detail.  I'll keep you posted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

This came in the mail today, lockdown reading sorted :cool:

Syt

I didn't know Julian wrote a book about Gore Vidal :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2020, 10:22:05 PM
Inspired by The Brain, I picked up the Kindle version of Operation Red, an analysis of the fighting between Dunkirk and the French surrender.  I've never read an account of that period that went into any detail.  I'll keep you posted.

Please do so. I noticed it while shopping but didn't pull the trigger because I thought I had enough books in the shopping cart.