Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on August 17, 2020, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2020, 07:17:39 PM
Finished Bring Up the Bodies and started back over again with Wolf Hall.  Much, much less confusing.

I passed the place last summer.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=3d506c2a-92ff-4f1d-9aba-723939655532&cp=51.355852~-1.654357&lvl=19&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

Oh wow, that's the original building? On the list, for the next trip to Wiltshire :nerd:

Syt

Is anyone familiar with Prit Buttar's books about the Eastern Front of WW1 and WW2? Any good? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Read "A Mortal Bane" a murder mystery set in an upscale 12th century London brothel.

This author did her research, last year I read a history on prostitution in medieval England "Common Women" and the attitudes, behaviors, cultural beliefs, etc all seemed realistic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Did upscale mean they made the whores bathe at least once a week?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 20, 2020, 09:11:29 PM

Upscale in the 12th C meant that every whore had at least one tooth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2020, 09:44:04 PM

Upscale in the 12th C meant that every whore had at least one tooth.

So, like Alabama then.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

5 pence a night.

The madam is an educated fallen noblewoman. Too beautiful for her own good, several men killed each other over her. She's the one who solves the mystery.

Also, though her three girls are all beautiful, one of them is blind, one is mute and the other is mentally five.

Customers pay for discretion after all.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

So the author went for ultra-realism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Another history prize long-list - haven't read any but super-excited for Fifth Sun, Lakota America and Providence Lost on my wishlist. Some other very interesting looking books here too:
QuoteThe 2020 Cundill History Prize Longlist

Roderick Beaton
Greece: Biography of a Modern Nation
The University of Chicago Press

Vincent Brown
Tacky's Revolt: the Story of an Atlantic Slave War
Belknap Press of Harvard University Press

Zachary Carter
The Price of Peace: Money, Democracy, and the Life of John Maynard Keynes
Random House

William Dalrymple
The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company
Bloomsbury Publishing

Bathsheba Demuth
Floating Coast: an Environmental History of the Bering Strait
W. W. Norton & Company

Richard M. Eaton
India in the Persianate Age: 1000-1765
University of California Press

Eric Foner
The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution
W. W. Norton & Company

Jóhanna Friðriksdóttir
Valkyrie: The Women of the Viking World
Bloomsbury Academic

Kim Ghattas
Black Wave: Saudi Arabia, Iran and the Rivalry that Unravelled the Middle East
Headline/Henry Holt & Co

Kerri Greenidge
Black Radical: the Life and Times of William Monroe Trotter
Liveright Publishing

Pekka Hämäläinen
Lakota America: a New History of Indigenous Power
Yale University Press

John Henderson
Florence Under Siege: Surviving Plague in an Early Modern City
Yale University Press

Rashid Khalidi
The Hundred Years' War on Palestine: a History of Settler Colonialism and Resistance, 1917-2017
Metropolitan Books/Henry Holt & Company

Paul Lay
Providence Lost: the Rise and Fall of Cromwell's Protectorate
Head of Zeus

Claudio Saunt
Unworthy Republic: the Dispossession of Native Americans and the Road to Indian Territory
W. W. Norton & Company

Camilla Townsend
Fifth Sun: A New History of the Aztecs
Oxford University Press USA
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I like my Anarchy medieval, thank you very much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

I got to know Susanna Clarke from the forum - yes, almost twenty years ago. I took about as much time for her to finish her second novel. I am looking forward to reading it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/susanna-clarke-piranesi.html?fbclid=IwAR2d59LRneufpDJ5X_4SjFVW2wAHtktxPwvjbTUCstj0FYz-ZvFGwmsicDM
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2020, 03:10:45 PM
Another history prize long-list - haven't read any but super-excited for Fifth Sun, Lakota America and Providence Lost on my wishlist.

I think it's the first year I don't know anyone on the jury. :lol:

I heard good things about Fifth Sun and Tacky's Rebellion. Have you read Hämäläinen's previous book, Comanche Empire? 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 05, 2020, 10:01:46 PM
I got to know Susanna Clarke from the forum - yes, almost twenty years ago. I took about as much time for her to finish her second novel. I am looking forward to reading it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/susanna-clarke-piranesi.html?fbclid=IwAR2d59LRneufpDJ5X_4SjFVW2wAHtktxPwvjbTUCstj0FYz-ZvFGwmsicDM

I've been waiting for this!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Did not realize Eric Foner was still writing...

Lakota America definitely intriguing.  How is Carter distinguishing his book from the Skidelsky bio?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson