DEAD MEXICANS

Cons:

Davey Twiggs
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 22, 2012, 03:39:30 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 22, 2012, 03:06:46 PM
Yeah.

No, sir.  I respect Grant's an your opinion, but Manifest Destiny demanded that the land be ours.  Lord knows the Mexicans weren't doing anything productive with it.

Naked aggression on behalf of slave owners is never good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on August 22, 2012, 03:57:01 PM
Eminent domain is fine as long as it's nation to nation, eh?  :hmm:

It evened out the map, man, made it flush with the floorboards.  And besides, the stars would've been all fucked up.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2012, 06:11:31 PM
Yeah.

No, sir.  I respect Grant's an your opinion, but Manifest Destiny demanded that the land be ours.  Lord knows the Mexicans weren't doing anything productive with it.

Don't see any slaves there now. We should have taken Mexico to the 25th parralel. Nicholas Trist was a traitor to his country!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

We should annex Mexico and Canada so their voters can help us get socialized health care.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2012, 06:40:28 PM
Yeah.

Don't see any slaves there now. We should have taken Mexico to the 25th parralel. Nicholas Trist was a traitor to his country!  :mad:

I seem to recall a nasty war to solve that problem.  Why the devil would we want more Mexico?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2012, 06:40:28 PM
Yeah.

I seem to recall a nasty war to solve that problem.  Why the devil would we want more Mexico?
Would the war have been worse if we took more of Mexico? If not, what would be the problem?

Mexico north of the 25th was virtually unpopulated at the time aside from the natives. This was especially true in the northwestern half. The northeastern half and some light settlements.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Virtually unpopulated except for the natives. :lol:

The question is not "Why what is the problem?", it's "Why should we be taking other people's land?".

Ed Anger

Timmay is unrolling his handmade spunk covered Alt-Hist maps as I speak.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

The question is not "Why what is the problem?", it's "Why should we be taking other people's land?".

Because it's there and we're stronger than they are.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 22, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

By natives I mean the Native Americans. Unjustly or not, they simply did not factor into the calculus of Americans at the time. The territory had very few Mexicans.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2012, 08:34:00 PM
By natives I mean the Native Americans. Unjustly or not, they simply did not factor into the calculus of Americans at the time. The territory had very few Mexicans.

I don't really understand your distinction between Native Americans and Mexicans.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2012, 07:56:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2012, 08:34:00 PM

I don't really understand your distinction between Native Americans and Mexicans.
Just because most Mexicans now and then were mostly of native stock doesn't mean they were in any way culturally similar to the Apaches and the other tribes living traditionally in the North.

1 Karma Chameleon point