News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Musical Instruments Megathread

Started by DontSayBanana, January 10, 2015, 12:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Because I'm missing the VoodooLounge tonight.  Not sure if any of the remaining Languishites play (think I remember one mentioning picking up guitar/bass?); almost definitely sure I'm the last one with any remaining pipe dreams of playing professionally, though, since chilli, Kain, Carolus, and my fellow pianist Luci are all gone, but just in case, I'm gonna try to exercise some foresight and restrain my outbursts to this thread.

A welcome blast from the past today.  Back around Halloween, I ordered an Alesis Q88, a piano-type MIDI controller.  The price was too good for me to ignore, even though it was listed as being on a slight backorder ("usually ships within 7 to 10 business days").  Early Christmas present for myself.

After about two weeks, I check back in- order's still showing as "processing."  When I check the product page, the stock status has been changed to "backordered - estimated delivery mid-December."  Well, mid-December comes and goes, the status has been changed again to "backordered" with no estimated date of arrival, and I start getting emails from the store letting me know that yes, they are still waiting on Alesis to deliver a fresh round of units.

Well, yesterday, I get the most welcome "bad" email ever- it's been long enough that the initial purchase authorization they obtained has expired, so I need to re-confirm the purchase, I give them a call, get it sorted, and for my trouble, they overnight it.  So I'm now sitting and messing around with the keyboard I ordered back in October that just came in today. :D
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I have a Les Paul in silverburst.

Everyone seems to like the look of it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

My mother made me learn how to play the piano.  I hated every minute of it and I utterly sucked at it.  I was convinced that it would be totally useless, and I am right. 

The end. 

Martinus

Razgovory

I was once able to make loud noises with a trumpet.  The band director didn't characterize it as music.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 10, 2015, 03:29:23 AM
I have a Les Paul in silverburst.

Everyone seems to like the look of it.

Understandably so.  That's a pretty sweet finish on that- Les Pauls and SGs are pretty much the only guitars I like in burst finishes, BTW.  Are you playing with a tube amp or solid state?
Experience bij!

Pedrito

I've received an acoustic guitar as a gift for my 42nd birthday, two weeks ago. I never played an instrument before. It will be fun.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

crazy canuck

This is the Sax my younger son has

http://www.seawindmusic.com/our-products/tenor/

My older son has a number of guitars now, both electric and acoustic.

My wife plays the piano.

I listen.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2015, 06:28:41 PM
This is the Sax my younger son has

Has a nice warmth to it, like all expensive ass saxophones.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2015, 05:31:27 AM
I was once able to make loud noises with a trumpet.  The band director didn't characterize it as music.

I bet you could make loud noises with the clarinet too, if you applied yourself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?