Why The Media Isn’t Covering The NAACP Explosion

Started by garbon, January 09, 2015, 11:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Because non-stories have to step aside when real news is happening.  If it was a slow news week, maybe this might get some play.  But even so, not every minor crime can get the full-on national panic treatment.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

The Brain

I think that if there had actually been an explosion we'd have heard about it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 10, 2015, 04:15:24 AM
I think that if there had actually been an explosion we'd have heard about it.

What if an explosion happens in a forest and only garbon hears it?

Eddie Teach

Trick question, garbon would never set foot in a forest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2015, 04:32:28 AM
Trick question, garbon would never set foot in a forest.

That's not true. What I wouldn't do, unless under duress, is spend multiple days out in a forest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

I had heard about the NAACP "bombing" days before I first saw this stupid anti-press message start spreading over social media and the news. So for one, it was covered. For two, it was a detonation of a device that made noise, caused no property damage, and killed no one. The government is investigating it as a crime, looking to see who did it. I think it warrants the low level news coverage it received, but it's not at all comparable to the Charlie Hebdo massacre.

This device was detonated next to a gas can, which did not even get destroyed or catch fire. Whoever set this thing off literally had no idea how to blow a building up, and is likely not part of any organized anti-black group. The militia guys (see: Tim McVeigh) know how to build bombs, this is pure redneck or hilljack idiocy where someone put together a bomb in his garage in 20 minutes and thought it'd magically blow a building up as long as he sat some accelerant next to it.

CountDeMoney

In other words, because it didn't do the intended damage or it wasn't committed by those who could do it better if they really, really meant it, it is less of a hate crime that warrants the appropriate attention.  Got it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2015, 12:50:26 PM
In other words, because it didn't do the intended damage or it wasn't committed by those who could do it better if they really, really meant it, it is less of a hate crime that warrants the appropriate attention.  Got it.

It's getting the appropriate attention. That seems to be what's bugging the guy who wrote the article, why isn't it getting overblown in the press?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2015, 12:50:26 PM

Well, what's more of a hate crime to you, killing four black girls in a church bombing or setting off a loud bang on a sidewalk next to an NAACP building in which no one is harmed and no property is damaged? Which is more newsworthy?

It's being investigated by the FBI and has been reported on in the news, not sure what's not appropriate about how it's been covered. I think the author of the article quoted in the first post actually explains pretty well why it's not a HUGE national story. There's a difference between the criminality of something and the level of concern I have about it. If this is traced back to some idiot 15 year old, I'd say it probably shouldn't be regarded as a true hate crime but just teenage stupidity and punished as delinquency. If it goes back to some skinhead imbecile who is an adult, of course it's a hate crime and should be punished as such.

I'd be a lot more worried if I thought it was linked to organized racist groups that are known to have some level of bomb making skills and stockpiles of weapons in the United States, but those guys I think despite being pretty dim can probably at least do better than this, so I suspect it's just a lone idiot. That to me makes it less concerning and less newsworthy.

CountDeMoney

Glad you cleared that up with your edited post.  Much more lucid than, say, derniggerhater's commentary.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2015, 08:21:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2015, 04:09:35 AM
What a ridiculous thread.

What exactly is the goal of this comment?

To further strengthen his reputation on languish by acting in character.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2015, 07:45:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2015, 08:21:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2015, 04:09:35 AM
What a ridiculous thread.

What exactly is the goal of this comment?

To further strengthen his reputation on languish by acting in character.

The strange truth is that Marty is actually a British social worker specializing in hard luck cases.  He lets out all his frustration in his life by creating a bizzaro alter ego instead of occasionally blowing up at his wife and kids.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017