News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

From Economist Labour post-mortem article.  Journo interviews Asian  :rolleyes: cab driver on why he and his brotehrs, long time Labour supporters all, voted Tory.

"The economy is doing well, and Milliband is useless."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2015, 09:05:43 PM
CGP Grey says the UK elections were undemocratic and stinky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rGX91rq5I

So a 12 seat majority with 36.9% of the vote is "worse" than a 66 seat majority with 35.2% of the vote (see Labour 2005.)  :hmm:

His comment about "most people not knowing the name of their MP" seems a bit off as well - given the demonstrable incumbency advantages present in FPTP and the known personal followings of some MPs (see Douglas Carswell, for example) I think it would be fair to say that a good proportion of actual voters do know the name of their MP and that his actions in Office do influence their vote.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Legbiter

Quote from: Legbiter on May 11, 2015, 03:27:56 PM
So what chinless wonder will Labour pick to lose the 2020 elections?  :hmm:

And the answer as it turns out is Corbyn.

He's a bit retro isn't he? If he's getting the nod the alternatives must have been even more terrible.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Legbiter on September 12, 2015, 07:12:23 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on May 11, 2015, 03:27:56 PM
So what chinless wonder will Labour pick to lose the 2020 elections?  :hmm:

He's a bit retro isn't he? If he's getting the nod the alternatives must have been even more terrible.  :hmm:

It is quite a complex story. The Labour party decided to allow people to register as "supporters" for £3 and they would get a vote in the leadership election. Many greens, commies etc promptly registered and trebled party membership...................they voted for Corbyn.

Now Corbyn, at the personal level, seems to be a very nice man...........that of course is a damning political indictment  :D

He seems to want the 1950s back but with lots of diversity, gay marriage etc etc

He will go down well with Labour's core vote of 20-25% of the electorate, nobody else will vote for him.

Josquius

I really don't see Corbyn still being around for a 2020 election (oh how I wish that stupid fixed term length rule had been slapped down). Though in the meantime it will be good to have everything pulled leftwards. He says a lot of good things on domestic policy, though his foreign policy views are pretty cringe worthy.
Really funny to read about how he got nominated.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2015, 10:44:09 AM
I really don't see Corbyn still being around for a 2020 election (oh how I wish that stupid fixed term length rule had been slapped down). Though in the meantime it will be good to have everything pulled leftwards. He says a lot of good things on domestic policy, though his foreign policy views are pretty cringe worthy.
Really funny to read about how he got nominated.

I don't really see how naming a fringe candidate "pulls everything leftwards."

Tamas

What buffles  me is how disbanding Trident can be a valid discussion topic. It's borderline treason.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on September 12, 2015, 07:12:23 AM

It is not just in 'Murica where everybody is getting more polarized. I guess everybody was dissatisfied with the 90s consensus. The pill of globalization has been a bitter one to swallow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on September 12, 2015, 12:59:02 PM
What buffles  me is how disbanding Trident can be a valid discussion topic. It's borderline treason.

Hungarians sure have been saying some odd things the last couple of weeks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Its a fairly mainstream topic here, nuclear disarmament is less of an issue at the moment than at times in the past.

Second half of the last night of the proms starts in a few minutes over at the beeb though, if you want some British patriotism  :bowler:

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Hungarians sure have been saying some odd things the last couple of weeks.

Well in practice the argument seems to boil down to: "if we put ourselves at the mercy of our enemies, then we eliminate the risk of them attacking us" which is idiotic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 12, 2015, 02:46:05 PM

Its a fairly mainstream topic here, nuclear disarmament is less of an issue at the moment than at times in the past.

:lmfao:

Only a topic  in France for imported (Norwegian in this case) leftist nutcases such as Eva Joly. More dangerous than ABB and Varg Vikernes, since they are much more influential.

Martinus

Martinus

I just found out he is for the UK leaving the EU.  :yucky: