News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I think it is probably time for Labor to take back controls.  Or at least it should be, but they seem like a bit of a mess.

Any chance of a Labor-SNP coalition?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2015, 03:47:36 PM
Any chance of a Labor-SNP coalition?
Very unlikely. Especially because SNP's condition would be getting rid of Trident. But also importantly I don't think the SNP want the responsibility of being in a Westminster government which would rather tarnish their reputation at home. I think a confidence and supply arrangement is more likely.

But they won't rule it out because that would acknowledge that they might lose the election. So until then the Tories can keep attacking Labour for it eg:

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I'd vote for this candidate:

Comedian Al Murray 'too heavy' for parachute jump

Comedian Al Murray, who is standing for parliament in his guise as The Pub Landlord, has been forced to cancel a parachute jump because he is too heavy.

He was expected to plunge 12,000ft (3,658m) into Headcorn Aerodrome in Kent before addressing constituents.

"It seems that I am too heavy to jump. Yet another tragic victim of this country's obesity epidemic," he said.

Murray is contesting the South Thanet seat where he is taking on UKIP leader Nigel Farage in the general election.

'Political heavyweight'

Mr Murray learned at the aerodrome that he was heavier than the 14st 7lb (92kg) limit.

Dressed in his trademark burgundy blazer, he said he was unaware of his weight.

"I'm a true British man - I neither cry nor weigh myself on scales. Those are my values," he said.

In a statement, Murray, whose character is based around a love for all things British, said: "My life is being held back by health and safety gone mad.

"Gone are the days that a British citizen could throw themselves out of a plane regardless of the risk.

"I hope, however, that this settles once and for all the issue of whether I am a political heavyweight."

Mr Murray said he was 'another tragic victim of the country's obesity epidemic'

He complained about being weighed on metric scales, adding they proved conclusively the "dead hand of Brussels" on the British way of life.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-31870691
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on March 13, 2015, 10:15:57 AM
I'd vote for this candidate:

Mr Murray learned at the aerodrome that he was heavier than the 14st 7lb (92kg) limit.

Damn that isn't that huge for a man.  Depending on his height that is not even overweight, much less obese.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

92 Kg is my sixpack weight, for example. Not that I was planning to parachute anytime soon, I'm terrified of heights.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2015, 03:54:30 PM
Very unlikely. Especially because SNP's condition would be getting rid of Trident. But also importantly I don't think the SNP want the responsibility of being in a Westminster government which would rather tarnish their reputation at home. I think a confidence and supply arrangement is more likely.

I thought the SNP had dropped the Trident condition? Backpedalled on it at least.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Sinn Fein and the SNP?

I look forward to the Labour/Sinn Fein/SNP/Plaid Cymru government.

Tamas

Despite my economic views I would always have a hard time voting for a party on the right, due to their retarded backwardness in Eastern Europe.

So just asking: what are the major arguments against the Tories at this point? The country doesn't seem to be having a hard time, and they seem more than ready to lay down to the growing anti-immigrant feelings.

Valmy

Trying to flank the UKIP is a bit of a turnoff to me.  Cameron does not seem like a dynamic leader so that is the other.  Granted the Labour guy looks even worse.  I think a lot of people are unhappy with Conservative response to the financial crisis but I am ok with it.  But granted I do not live there so that is easy for me to say. If I were British I would probably vote for the party promising to address the housing problems, being a solidly middle class dude.

Are you planning on getting UK citizenship at some point or is this just for rooting purposes?

Tamas

I am planning to get citizenship yes. Still years away before I can do that though.

It is my understanding that the housing situation is a bit of a divide middle-classingly. If you already have a property, then any meaningful easing of the housing situation (like not being such pricks about permissions, government building programs etc) would devalue it.

And presumably you can buy poor people's votes with short-term handouts, so why upset the middle class by making their net worth look less impressive and their green belts smaller?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2015, 12:12:51 PM
It is my understanding that the housing situation is a bit of a divide middle-classingly. If you already have a property, then any meaningful easing of the housing situation (like not being such pricks about permissions, government building programs etc) would devalue it.

So much for class consciousness :( home-ownership is the best way to grow the ranks of middling people.

But seriously reasonably priced homes is vital for the success of a society.  Sad to see self-interest trump that, but it trumps that over here all the time and there is no reason the British should be any different.

QuoteAnd presumably you can buy poor people's votes with short-term handouts, so why upset the middle class by making their net worth look less impressive and their green belts smaller?

Do the poor ever aspire to move up in the world? This pretty much keeps them from having a decent chance at leaving subsidized housing.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2015, 01:34:32 PM
Home ownership is gravely overrated.

Why?

Granted I agree with Thomas Piketty that owning of assets is far more important than earning of wages as the world economy goes through its current revolution.

Sheilbh

Two months from the general election. British politics 2015 :lol: :weep: :bleeding:
QuoteTimes columnist comes to the defence of 'Two Kitchens' Miliband
48 comments 12 March 2015 17:45Steerpike 

The 'functional kitchenette' (Photo: BBC)

Mr Steerpike was interested to see Jenni Russell springing to Ed Miliband's defence after Sarah Vine took a pop at his kitchen in the Daily Mail. Mrs Gove described his kitchen as 'drab' and said it made her want to 'bring him over some fresh brownies'.

Thankfully, as Times columnist Russell points out, this is not his main kitchen. It is in fact his ' functional kitchenette':
QuoteEd Miliband's kitchen is lovely.  Daily Mail pix: the functional kitchenette by sitting room for tea and quick snacks.

Mr S imagines Russell is a fairly reliable source when it comes to the living arrangements of the Miliband family, given that the Labour leader is godfather to her child. Who needs two jags when you have two kitchens... 

UPDATE: More info through from Russell about the kitchen:

Quote@hugorifkind it's not 2 kitchens! More like Times' tea prep area.  Can't even sit in it.

Does the Times' tea prep area come complete with oven and stools?

Edit: And now Milliband's claiming they mainly use the small kitchenette :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2015, 03:42:01 PM
Two months from the general election. British politics 2015 :lol: :weep: :bleeding:
QuoteTimes columnist comes to the defence of 'Two Kitchens' Miliband
48 comments 12 March 2015 17:45Steerpike 

The 'functional kitchenette' (Photo: BBC)

Mr Steerpike was interested to see Jenni Russell springing to Ed Miliband's defence after Sarah Vine took a pop at his kitchen in the Daily Mail. Mrs Gove described his kitchen as 'drab' and said it made her want to 'bring him over some fresh brownies'.

Thankfully, as Times columnist Russell points out, this is not his main kitchen. It is in fact his ' functional kitchenette':
QuoteEd Miliband's kitchen is lovely.  Daily Mail pix: the functional kitchenette by sitting room for tea and quick snacks.

Mr S imagines Russell is a fairly reliable source when it comes to the living arrangements of the Miliband family, given that the Labour leader is godfather to her child. Who needs two jags when you have two kitchens... 

UPDATE: More info through from Russell about the kitchen:

Quote@hugorifkind it's not 2 kitchens! More like Times' tea prep area.  Can't even sit in it.

Does the Times' tea prep area come complete with oven and stools?

Edit: And now Milliband's claiming they mainly use the small kitchenette :lol:

:bleeding: all round.

Maybe Scotland could go independent and then reverse takeover England?   :cool:

edit:

Or maybe England should get used to contending with the threat of invading armies from the north, that then might drive this trivia out of the 'political' discourse?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"