And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 07, 2015, 05:42:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:32:44 PM

What bearing does it have on whether it is an inborn trait or a choice?
I agree. There's nothing I hate more than the 'born this way' argument - even if I think it's true.

From the perspective of rights, I agree - it has no bearing.

From the perspective of respect though? I think it is relevant. Respect is not given, it is earned by contributing to the society. Homosexual lifestyle is, generally, less productive from the perspective of the society than heterosexual lifestyle (of course I am generalising greatly here). So if it were a pure choice, I would say someone choosing to lead a homosexual lifestyle would deserve less respect (for this particular thing - it is not to say there would be no other reasons to respect him or her) than someone choosing to lead a heterosexual lifestyle.

The fact that it is inborn makes it different - since for a homosexual person, the choice is therefore to live in a stable and happy relationship with another person of the same sex - or to live in a lie with a people of the opposite sex - the former being more respectful choice.

Jacob

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:50:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:47:26 PM
Anyways, since I am going to bed, it is abundantly clear to anyone who is not intellectually dishonest what Rushdie meant by saying that every idea "deserves disrespect". He did not mean to say one needs to go out of one's way to show disrespect - but that one should approach every idea from a position of disrespect - i.e. one opposed to reverence - and by merciless in pointing out its shortcomings, deficiencies and dysfunctionalities - there should be no taboos and no sacred cows in public discourse.

And I don't agree that in our everyday lives that we should approach every idea that way.

Then we have to agree to disagree. To me, critical thinking is one of the cornerstones of the Western civilisation.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 05:42:39 PM
Didn't really consider homophobia to be that encompassing, but okay, I see proof every day that the gay idea is real, which is why I in no way see those two ideas as being equal.

And there are those who would say that every day that they see proof that their religious ideas are real. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxZ2KBXDEcM

Quote from: Liep on January 07, 2015, 05:42:39 PMI consider us in agreement though and I move we put the Muslims = Gays debate to rest.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:52:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 05:50:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:47:26 PM
Anyways, since I am going to bed, it is abundantly clear to anyone who is not intellectually dishonest what Rushdie meant by saying that every idea "deserves disrespect". He did not mean to say one needs to go out of one's way to show disrespect - but that one should approach every idea from a position of disrespect - i.e. one opposed to reverence - and by merciless in pointing out its shortcomings, deficiencies and dysfunctionalities - there should be no taboos and no sacred cows in public discourse.

And I don't agree that in our everyday lives that we should approach every idea that way.

Then we have to agree to disagree. To me, critical thinking is one of the cornerstones of the Western civilisation.

Critical thinking? Sure. Approaching every idea with merciless criticism? Not so much.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:52:30 PMThen we have to agree to disagree. To me, critical thinking is one of the cornerstones of the Western civilisation.

I think that's the disconnect. Not everyone equates "critical thinking" with "disrespect."

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:51:05 PM
From the perspective of respect though? I think it is relevant. Respect is not given, it is earned by contributing to the society. Homosexual lifestyle is, generally, less productive from the perspective of the society than heterosexual lifestyle (of course I am generalising greatly here). So if it were a pure choice, I would say someone choosing to lead a homosexual lifestyle would deserve less respect (for this particular thing - it is not to say there would be no other reasons to respect him or her) than someone choosing to lead a heterosexual lifestyle.

Yeah, I think we have different perceptions on respect. I don't think respect should only be accorded if one makes a "meaningful" contribution to society. :D

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:51:05 PM
The fact that it is inborn makes it different - since for a homosexual person, the choice is therefore to live in a stable and happy relationship with another person of the same sex - or to live in a lie with a people of the opposite sex - the former being more respectful choice.

I think there are more choices than that - and I don't think "living a lie" is a less respectful choice if both partners are happy, though there is something to be said about lying to one's partner about one's true urges.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:53:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:52:30 PMThen we have to agree to disagree. To me, critical thinking is one of the cornerstones of the Western civilisation.

I think that's the disconnect. Not everyone equates "critical thinking" with "disrespect."

This.

Islam, and Christianity, and many other things are wide, wide open for harsh criticism.  I just think that doesn't have to equal disrespect.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

For the record - and this is really the last thing I am going to post tonight - I also disagree with laws that put preachers in jail for saying that gays go to hell. They have a right to say this and call me sinful and depraved - and I have a right to call them stupid goat-fucking moon worshippers (or whatever ethno-cultural slur applies to their particular brand of iron age mumbo-jumbo).

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:31:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Distinction without a difference.  "Islam" is a belief deeply held by Muslim peoples.  By showing Islam respect, you're not showing that respect to the religion, you're showing that respect to the billion or so adherents.

I don't buy this.

And what does it mean in practice?

And to go full godwins, a few years back millions of Germans held a deep belief in a certain ideology.

... including that a particular religion ought to be disrespected.

I'm waiting for BB to respond.

I think there are three conditions respect, no respect and disrespect. And those are probably on a continuum of reactions.

Can't one be entirely neutral to a religion or ideology until such time as it's shown its worth to the wider society?

Thread moving too fast, and I'm too busy today, to try and give a lengthy response.  Sorry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

There is an anti-terrorist police operation in Reims (130 km east-northeast of Paris) right now with a RAID unit (SWAT-like team) there but details are sparse. Also some house search operations in Charleville-Mézières in the northeast.

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 06:09:51 PM
There is an anti-terrorist police operation in Reims (130 km east-northeast of Paris) right now with a RAID unit (SWAT-like team) there but details are sparse. Also some house search operations in Charleville-Mézières in the northeast.

Crossing fingers that they get the shit-stains.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:58:27 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:31:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2015, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
In any case, ideas are not people. He did not say Muslims deserve disrespect - he said Islam does. Ideas have no rights and do not deserve respect.

Distinction without a difference.  "Islam" is a belief deeply held by Muslim peoples.  By showing Islam respect, you're not showing that respect to the religion, you're showing that respect to the billion or so adherents.

I don't buy this.

And what does it mean in practice?

And to go full godwins, a few years back millions of Germans held a deep belief in a certain ideology.

... including that a particular religion ought to be disrespected.

I'm waiting for BB to respond.

I think there are three conditions respect, no respect and disrespect. And those are probably on a continuum of reactions.

Can't one be entirely neutral to a religion or ideology until such time as it's shown its worth to the wider society?

Thread moving too fast, and I'm too busy today, to try and give a lengthy response.  Sorry.

Understandable.

310 post in just 11 hours, who knew languish wasn't dying.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2015, 05:58:27 PM

If only there was a sacred duty to offer a response on an Internet forum.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

I skipped the last several pages.  Did Martinus go all lone gunman on religion and heterosexuals or something?