News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Also, the same newspaper's offices were firebombed 4 years ago by Muslims after re-printing Mohammed's caricatures.

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 07:52:53 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 07:45:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 07:43:53 AM
No clues about who did it yet, but islamicists are strongly suspected.

I think it is premature to draw a conclusion that masked men with kalashnikovs shouting "Allahu Akbar" and attacking a journal known for its anti-muslim caricatures may be islamist or indeed have anything to do with Islam.

Earlier on, the current French government said that people attacking policemen in a precinct with a knife, or driving their car into people while shouting Allah 'o Akbar were just lunatics. Some isolated incidents.

Ok, so this means Muslims can be dangerous and murderous lunatics without having to belong to a terrorist organisation.

Tamas

It looks like journalists could find themselves on the frontline of a culture war between the vast majority, and a militant tiny minority using force.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 07, 2015, 07:55:32 AM
It looks like journalists could find themselves on the frontline of a culture war between the vast majority, and a militant tiny minority using force.

Not just journalists but also authors, movie directors etc. Funnily enough, I don't recall members of any other religion actually targeting people with murderous attacks in retaliation for words and images. (Even attacks on abortion clinics are different, as the attacks were perpetrated on people who, in the misguided minds of fundamentalists, were engaged in murder of "innocent children").

Do we really need any more proof that Islam is singularily the religion most incompatible with Western values (freedom of speech and expression being the most important of which)?

Legbiter

And Houellebecq's new book Soumission about an Islamicised France is out next Wednesday.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Legbiter on January 07, 2015, 08:00:55 AM
And Houellebecq's new book Soumission about an Islamicised France is out next Wednesday.

Great timing  :tinfoil:
Don't think the PC left will blame it on him, yet. So far, Union nationale.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 07:51:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 07:47:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 07:45:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 07:43:53 AM
No clues about who did it yet, but islamicists are strongly suspected.

I think it is premature to draw a conclusion that masked men with kalashnikovs shouting "Allahu Akbar" and attacking a journal known for its anti-muslim caricatures may be islamist or indeed have anything to do with Islam.

Interestingly that one detail isn't being reported by most media outlets that seem to just be leaping from what the journal published to islamicists.

Also, how tragic. :(

A number of news sites are actually reporting this detail (or the attackers shouting or saying other things of a similar nature) and they are citing one of the survivors as the source.

Makes you wonder whether the media outlets who are not reporting on that do so because the information is not credible or because they are censoring this important piece of information out.

To be honest, I found it a bit weird that the BBC article and the few articles I read, before stumbling on The Independent, made such a notice of Charlie Hebdo makes jokes about Islam when they weren't providing a description of the gunmen or any statements made by the gunmen that linked them with Islam.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on January 07, 2015, 08:00:55 AM

Just googled it out. Looks interesting - sounds like French response to "Handmaid's Tale". :P

Martinus

Apparently the book was featured on this week's cover of Charlie Hebdo...

mongers

Agnes Poirier
@AgnesCPoirier

Cabu, one of France's greatest cartoonist is said to have died in #CharlieHebdo attack.Expect millions in the streets
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Names well noms de plume of the victims are coming up: Charb, Wolinski, Cabu et Tignous. The first three are famous in France, even beyond their "political" circle. Cabu used also to feature on a kid's show (as a cartoonist/satiricist) most thirty-somethings watched back then. '68ers I liked, sometimes.

Duque de Bragança

I guess the accusations of islamophobia/racism are dead, along the with dozen victims

http://www.article11.info/?Charlie-Hebdo-pas-raciste-Si-vous
French only, sorry but dates from 2013

Exec summary
Charlie Hebdo not racist? Yes, you are.

http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/2013/11/20/non-charlie-hebdo-n-est-pas-raciste_3516646_3232.html

Exec Summary
No, Charlie Hebdo is not racist.

Duque de Bragança

To give you an example of their strangely prescient humour this time:

Al-Baghdadi lookalike speaking:

Still no terrorist strikes in France

Wait, we've got till the end of January to give our wishes.

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 08:26:44 AM
I guess the accusations of islamophobia/racism are dead, along the dozen victims

http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/2013/11/20/non-charlie-hebdo-n-est-pas-raciste_3516646_3232.html

Well, I don't know. If I were about to be shot by crazy Muslims, I would probably be afraid of them at that time - so the victims were probably Islamophobic shortly before they died.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 08:31:15 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 08:26:44 AM
I guess the accusations of islamophobia/racism are dead, along the dozen victims

Well, I don't know. If I were about to be shot by crazy Muslims, I would probably be afraid of then at that time - so the victims were probably Islamophobic shortly before they died.

:secret:

Dates from 2013