11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

One issue that hasn't been discussed is the contacts needed to buy weapons.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 09:04:54 PM

:yes:

QuoteFor every one legally procured firearm in France, there are nearly two illegal ones, some of which can be purchased online. There are between 10 million and 20 million illegal guns in a nation of 65 million.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2015/0107/Paris-Hebdo-attack-France-awash-with-black-market-weaponry-video

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 09:01:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
I did set up a small range in the back yard for Tommy & me to shoot his new Red Ryder BB gun.

That shit ended for me the day Dad found a BB lodged in the house siding.   :lol:

:lol:  Yeah, well I'm not having any of that yet.  His BB gun stays locked up in the gun cabinet when we're not using it, I do a range safety briefing each time before I hand him the gun, and watch him like a hawk.  KEEP THAT WEAPON POINTED DOWNRANGE

Oh, and we both wear shooting glasses, something I probably would have hated as a kid.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 09:07:10 PM

QuoteFor every one legally procured firearm in France, there are nearly two illegal ones, some of which can be purchased online. There are between 10 million and 20 million illegal guns in a nation of 65 million.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2015/0107/Paris-Hebdo-attack-France-awash-with-black-market-weaponry-video

Sounds like they have a gun control problem in France.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Yeah, it's not really an issue in France, where as in the UK with better gun laws and lacking land borders getting hold of an automatic weapon is going to be difficult. Hence the illegal re-engineering of imported replica guns by criminals.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 08:53:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 08:51:29 PM
Tim ties in anime FTW.

That had fuck all to do with anything being discussed in this thread.

:huh:

I was responding to this conversation in which anime schoolgirl terrorism was brought up.

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:54:31 PM
Shall we guess it's all sweetness and light, cherry tree blossom, singing folk songs with their teachers, until they leave school and experience the soul destroying experience of having to be an adult?

Sounds like an anime.
I wouldn't mind watching that: leading terrorists as competitive schoolgirls :mellow:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ixnay on the anime Timmay, lest I pummel you and Mono with comfort pillows filled with soda cans.  Schoolgirl terrorism.  GTFO with that bullshit.

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 09:10:09 PM

Oh, and we both wear shooting glasses, something I probably would have hated as a kid.

Well it's the the most vulnerable organ in the body and 5-10 bucks can prevent the loss of one. 

I am now so old (risk averse), I've taken to wearing saftey glasses when I brush up broken glass.   :)

dps

Some details there I didn't know about, or really, care about.  After all, what's there to discuss?  If you want to acquire a weapon, you can.  In general, while it's much harder to acquire firearms legally in Europe than in the US, I'm not sure it's all that more difficult to acquire them illegally.  And if you're planning on using it in a terrorist attack, I'd think that even in the US you'd much rather acquire one illegally.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 09:16:03 PM
Ixnay on the anime Timmay, lest I pummel you and Mono with comfort pillows filled with soda cans.  Schoolgirl terrorism.  GTFO with that bullshit.

Might as well throw Lettow in as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 09:17:16 PMIn general, while it's much harder to acquire firearms legally in Europe than in the US, I'm not sure it's all that more difficult to acquire them illegally.
I think maybe on the continent, it's very difficult in the UK. The Economist had a story of a gang war in Birmingham that baffled police because there were injuries on both sides that came from the same gun. Turned out both gangs only access to firearms was renting them from a third party and they were actually renting the same gun, from the same third party at different times :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

[/quote]

Surely it can't be *that* easy to get your hands on an AK in France.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 09:17:16 PM
Some details there I didn't know about, or really, care about.  After all, what's there to discuss?  If you want to acquire a weapon, you can.  In general, while it's much harder to acquire firearms legally in Europe than in the US, I'm not sure it's all that more difficult to acquire them illegally.  And if you're planning on using it in a terrorist attack, I'd think that even in the US you'd much rather acquire one illegally.

I think what Yi is prompting is that these three mutts had the contacts necessary to score AKs, which would lead one to believe there's more than three yahoos at work here.  The European weapons black market aside, considering the number of Europeans (including Frenchmen) that have returned from Iraq, Syria and Libya in recent years, maybe these kind of "lone wolf" attacks aren't quite as "lone" as they seem? 

I just tossed in the article because I was surprised at the availability.  I knew there was a black market for small arms, didn't know it was that big.

Loved this, though:

QuoteApplying for a gun license for hunting, target shooting, or personal protection requires not only a background check but a formal psychological evaluation. Gun licenses must be renewed every three to five years; the blacklist of those banned from owning weapons is nearly 18,000.

Can you imagine the full metal kittens the NRA would have if this logical and sensible approach was adopted here?   :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 09:17:16 PMIn general, while it's much harder to acquire firearms legally in Europe than in the US, I'm not sure it's all that more difficult to acquire them illegally.
I think maybe on the continent, it's very difficult in the UK. The Economist had a story of a gang war in Birmingham that baffled police because there were injuries on both sides that came from the same gun. Turned out both gangs only access to firearms was renting them from a third party and they were actually renting the same gun, from the same third party at different times :lol:

Yes it's been a real success story in the UK in recent years.