Europe's Populist Left

Started by Sheilbh, January 04, 2015, 12:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2015, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 04, 2015, 02:51:23 PM
Doesn't matter, point is they need to pay for it, and Greeks don't pay taxes.
In large part because of the patronage politics of PASOK and ND. Even if you don't support Syriza's policies, I think it's inevitable that any change to the corrupt status quo has to come from outside the political groups who built it and benefited from it.

The thing is, of course, that based on my experience of the rest of the wider region, the problems in Greece aren't some short term freak incident: they are hardcoded in society, or has been hard coded in the past decades. Which means two things: you can't expect them to be solved suddenly by a new party out of the blue unless they pull a Pinochet, and more importantly, blatant populism will just repeat past mistakes.

Austerity might have been the wrong answer, but sensless public spending (decreasing of retirement age, etc) is the wrong answer for sure. It is the EXACT THING that put these countries, or at least Greece for sure, into trouble. To keep relying on it is a dangerous illusion.

And yes we are reliving the 30s and seems like making the same mistakes, too.

Razgovory

Sure the advice I gave six years ago turned into a terrible disaster, but still my ideology tells me that the alternative is worse!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2015, 05:27:44 PM
Sure the advice I gave six years ago turned into a terrible disaster, but still my ideology tells me that the alternative is worse!

By definition it's worse.  If you default you get to run a deficit of zero, as opposed to the 4% or whatever your German sugar daddy is willing to finance.

celedhring

Greece is running a primary surplus now, though.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2015, 05:49:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2015, 05:27:44 PM

By definition it's worse.  If you default you get to run a deficit of zero, as opposed to the 4% or whatever your German sugar daddy is willing to finance.

I didn't know we were talking about "default".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2015, 06:18:42 PM

What did you think we were talking about?

Neil

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2015, 05:53:34 PM
Greece is running a primary surplus now, though.
But austerity isn't going to last.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2015, 06:49:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2015, 06:18:42 PM

What did you think we were talking about?

Spending vs the Austerity.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2015, 07:40:47 PM
Spending vs the Austerity.

Where should Greece and friends have gotten the money to spend? 

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2015, 10:20:18 PM
Would I like the Podemos?

Why not, they have a burning hate of 'The System' just like you.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Ideologue

I'm a huge fan of Chomsky. :)  Well, his linguistic work.  I actually forget what his weirdo politics are, probably not centrally-controlled enough.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Podemos is just a few months old, and to be honest their actual politics are still muddled and confused - which is best for them since any angry Spaniard can then imagine them as the party they'd wish them to be. They talk a lot about street-level democracy but they are big statists in practice - at least going off stuff in their program.

No mention of implementing a surveillance state, though, sorry.