News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Mongers is right, IMO, that a number of American posters were pretty anti-Muslim around the Iraq wars etc.

I don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes. Except possibly CdM, but that's just how he rolls with this stuff - generally progressive in outlook, incredibly racist in mode of expression, always willing to tell Euros they're shit... and everyone else too, really.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:07 PM
Mongers is right, IMO, that a number of American posters were pretty anti-Muslim around the Iraq wars etc.

I don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes.

But that's exactly the thing. He's spinning a narrative of hypocritical Americans who espouse anti-muslim attitudes and then are now taking Euros to task over that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM

I don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes.

But that's exactly the thing. He's spinning a narrative of hypocritical Americans who espouse anti-muslim attitudes and then are now taking Euros to task over that.

He probably has a hard time telling Americans apart from one another.

11B4V

I don't think it's particularly ironic, in that the posters who were are not the same ones as are taking Euros to task over any anti-Muslim attitudes. Except possibly CdM, but that's just how he rolls with this stuff - generally progressive in outlook, incredibly racist in mode of expression, always willing to tell Euros they're shit... and everyone else too, really.

It's natural. I hated Russians up til '92 or so.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

I hate:

Geordies
Mouthy Krauts
Sanctimonious Nordics
Serbs
Russians
MOUTH SUGA
Wops
Dagos
Zipperheads
Crackers
Moon crickets
Beaners
Frost backs
Eggplants
Camel jockeys of all stripes
Curry eaters
Bogans
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
I hate:

Geordies
Mouthy Krauts
Sanctimonious Nordics
Serbs
Russians
MOUTH SUGA
Wops
Dagos
Zipperheads
Crackers
Moon crickets
Beaners
Frost backs
Eggplants
Camel jockeys of all stripes
Curry eaters
Bogans

I don't not like mannequins.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 07:06:24 PM

Well I have a hard time recalling the ones who weren't at the time revelling in some of the violence meeted out in Iraq.   :D

Do you recall that thread we had about the apache helicopter footage released by I  think by wikileaks, that showed those Iraqi, militia and/or civilians being chewed up by cannon fire and possibly missile strikes, iirc several posters thought that pretty neat. Are one or two of those now taking a more nuanced approach to the Middle East and Muslim, both in the light of experience and as an opportunity to attack Europeans ? 

I can't prove these, because we don't have the old databases of posting nor the access the original Paradox OT. 
So it's just my impression, does that make it untruthful?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 07:36:01 PM
So it's just my impression, does that make it untruthful?

It makes you extremely unreliable. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Do you recall that thread we had about the apache helicopter footage released by I  think by wikileaks, that showed those Iraqi, militia and/or civilians being chewed up by cannon fire and possibly missile strikes, iirc several posters thought that pretty neat. Are one or two of those now taking a more nuanced approach to the Middle East and Muslim, both in the light of experience and as an opportunity to attack Europeans ? 

What I remember about that event were the accusations of purposefully targeting journalists, and the careful editing job Assange did to hide the fact that the reporter and his cameraman were in the midst of armed Iraqis who were firing on the Apache.

Is that different than your memory?

dps

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 07:06:24 PM

Well I have a hard time recalling the ones who weren't at the time revelling in some of the violence meeted out in Iraq.   :D

That's not necessarily racist, though.  If we had video footage of Massachusetts militiamen sticking it to the Redcoat during the battles of Lexington and Concord, bet some Americans would revel at that, too.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 06:52:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:50:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 06:48:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:46:06 PM
It's a rather odd sight to see some North American posters taking Europeans to task over they're attitudes to muslim and islam, given the overtly racists attitudes expressed here by a few of those same posters in the run up to, and the immediate aftermath of Iraq war.

Links, plz.

:lol:

Convenient isn't it. 

Yeah your criticism is convenient. Nameless Americans saying unspecified things. ;)

I'd like to at least know who he's talking about. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: dps on January 08, 2015, 08:27:10 PM
That's not necessarily racist, though.  If we had video footage of Massachusetts militiamen sticking it to the Redcoat during the battles of Lexington and Concord, bet some Americans would revel at that, too.

You guys should have seen me when I saw The Patriot in the theater.  High Fives all around.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall