News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European Islamophobia

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: dps on January 03, 2015, 12:56:36 PM
Is that law actually applied, though, or do applications for asylum just sort of get rubber-stamped:  "Well, you're seeking asylum so of course you're being persecuted in your homeland" when in fact the applicant might just be job-seeking, that type of thing.  It's my impression that that sort of thing is common in some countries, but not in Germany, but I could be mistaken (after all, it's just an impression).

The procedure can take weeks and months to verify each case. But yeah, Pegida is against harboring asylum seekers who are looking for jobs/welfare over here. Again, that's already covered by the law, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

I wonder how does a burning mosque smells.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on January 06, 2015, 03:55:33 PM

Surprised you don't know after all that time in Iraq.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

It's the precursor smell to burning synagogue.  Once they finish off Muslims, they'll eventually get around to the Jews.  Whenever the fires of ethnic hatred are stoked, it always burns the Jews in the end.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2015, 04:46:52 PM

It's the precursor smell to burning synagogue.  Once they finish off Muslims, they'll eventually get around to the Jews.  Whenever the fires of ethnic hatred are stoked, it always burns the Jews in the end.

Huh.  We have hated lots of people but never burned any Jews.  That may be an uniquely European thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Yeah, it's not like the Mongols killed anyone.  :hmm:

dps

I think you have that backwards.  The Euros pretty much finished off their Jews about 70 years ago.  They're getting around to the Muslims now.  Not sure if they have the Hindus or the Bhuddists schedules next;  you'll have to ask one of our European posters.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2015, 04:51:10 PM

Huh.  We have hated lots of people but never burned any Jews.  That may be an uniquely European thing.

Ever hear the of the Knights of Mary Fhagan?  After they lynched a Jewish man, they reformed the Ku Klux Klan.  Whenever ethnic hatred arises, sooner or later the boot will fall on a Jew.  Guaranteed.  Fortunately most Jews are out of the reach of Europe, and their words are backed by nuclear weapons.  If there was no Israel and those Jews had to live in Europe, they'd be treated like Roma.  Bigotry is like a cataract, it spread across the eyeball. It distorts a man's vision of one people, and it'll soon distort the vision of groups as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Fortunately, as this thread shows, European Islamophobia is being nipped in the bud.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,12371.0.html

Or should I say "sniped in the bud"?

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2015, 07:04:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2015, 04:51:10 PM

Ever hear the of the Knights of Mary Fhagan?  After they lynched a Jewish man, they reformed the Ku Klux Klan.  Whenever ethnic hatred arises, sooner or later the boot will fall on a Jew.  Guaranteed.  Fortunately most Jews are out of the reach of Europe, and their words are backed by nuclear weapons.  If there was no Israel and those Jews had to live in Europe, they'd be treated like Roma.  Bigotry is like a cataract, it spread across the eyeball. It distorts a man's vision of one people, and it'll soon distort the vision of groups as well.
Is it really "bigoted" to dislike an ideology?

I mean, Europeans put people in camps, that's their thing.  But just disliking Islam or worrying that Muslims may attain organized political power is not bigotry any more than disliking Christianity or worrying at the demonstrated negative outcomes Christians with organized political power have effected in the U.S.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Yeah. I guess Margaret Atwood is a bigot for writing "Handmaid's Tale".

Richard Hakluyt

I dislike Islam in roughly the same way that I dislike Communism. It is a disagreeable ideology that works against a free society, is oppressive to women and, at its extremes, is murderous.

I have met both communists and muslims that are good people of course.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 07, 2015, 08:43:57 AM
I dislike Islam in roughly the same way that I dislike Communism. It is a disagreeable ideology that works against a free society, is oppressive to women and, at its extremes, is murderous.

That is 100% how I feel. Apparently, according to some people, that makes us islamophobic/racist.

mongers

Meanwhile back in the Middle East, the carnage continues unabated, at least 33 people, many lining up to join the police, are murdered by a suicide car bomb this morning in the Yemen.

A policeman holds up the photo of one of the victims of the bomb attack in Sanaa (7 January 2015)

I thought I'd post this, as the image is telling without showing the graphic consequences of a car bomb on people's bodies, those images that are routinely censored here in the West, because we're assumed to be squeamish.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 08:45:12 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 07, 2015, 08:43:57 AM

That is 100% how I feel. Apparently, according to some people, that makes us islamophobic/racist.

Islamophobia isn't racism, but they do share some attributes.

The main issue is one of distorted thinking, of not seeing things as they are, but based on a negative set of generalizations based on extreme examples - conflating a large and confusing mass of contradictory data down into a simple story defined by its worst and most extreme elements. 

For example, a person who hated Christianity could point to the abortion clinic murders, the child sex scandals in the Catholic Church, the Ugandan death threats against gays, and the like. The problem of course is that not all Christians are the same, and sharing the same religion (at least in name) does not make (say) a unitarian minister type responsible for, or approving of, Catholic child sex scandals.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius