The Ethno-Zionist-Revisionism-Old Testament-Bashing Megathread

Started by Syt, December 29, 2014, 06:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So it seems like Egypt might ban Ridley Scott's Exodus, because of its "revisionist Zionist distortion of history."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 06:34:05 AM
So it seems like Egypt might ban Ridley Scott's Exodus, because of its "revisionist Zionist distortion of history."

Saw this story show up on my Facebook feed. Initially thought it must be the Onion.

That being said, calling the Bible "revisionist Zionist distortion of history" is pretty accurate, if you think about it. :P

Syt

Most Hollywood treatments of historic topics are "revisionist distortions of history," though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2014, 08:02:41 AM
That being said, calling the Bible "revisionist Zionist distortion of history" is pretty accurate, if you think about it. :P

In order to be revisionist there has to be an original version to revise.  The Bible is the original version.

Syt

Don't scholars these days think that what we have as Bible/Torah today has gone through several authors and centuries of change/editing before becoming figuratively set in stone? That would mean that the Bible as we know it is not the original.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2014, 08:28:38 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2014, 08:02:41 AM

In order to be revisionist there has to be an original version to revise.  The Bible is the original version.

I think the original history (you know, with Egypt, Babylon and Israel, but without God, angels and devils) is the original version.  :huh:

Taking the original history and adding God and other supernatural elements to it, in order to justify your spurious claim to some piece of land, sounds pretty revisionist to me.

Eddie Teach

I'm sure there's another term for untrustworthy primary sources, but it's not revisionism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 29, 2014, 09:26:07 AM
I'm sure there's another term for untrustworthy primary sources, but it's not revisionism.

I don't believe any part of the Bible, with the exception of letters in the New Testament, is a primary historical source.  :huh:

As for "Exodus", "Traditionally ascribed to Moses himself, modern scholarship sees the book as initially a product of the Babylonian exile (6th century BCE), with final revisions in the Persian post-exilic period (5th century BCE)" - so quite clearly a secondary source.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2014, 09:18:30 AM
I think the original history (you know, with Egypt, Babylon and Israel, but without God, angels and devils) is the original version.  :huh:

Who wrote this one?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2014, 09:30:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2014, 09:18:30 AM

Who wrote this one?

I don't know "who" but there are other historical sources (both primary and secondary) covering the period during which Jews were present in Egypt, if that is what you are asking. We don't know who wrote "Exodus" either, by the way (but it clearly wasn't Moses, even if he was a historical character, as the book was written several centuries after his alleged death and is heavily influenced by Mesopotamian mythology, which is where Jews ended up only centuries after the Exodus).

Razgovory

You do know that the Israelites were people who worshiped Mesopotamian deities well before the captivity right?  I think you should stop right now, before you make a fool of yourself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2014, 09:38:35 AM
You do know that the Israelites were people who worshiped Mesopotamian deities well before the captivity right?  I think you should stop right now, before you make a fool of yourself.

Are you saying you believe that Exodus was actually written by Moses and it is a primary historical source?  :lol:

Razgovory

No.  I'm saying you need to stop before you make a fool of yourself, cause that's what you typically do on this subject.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 06:34:05 AM

Muslim countries routinely ban films which depict prophets. Yahwemosis is a muslim "prophet" who really was a muslim. So depicting him as anything other than a pious muslim is blasphemous.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive