News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows Phone

Started by derspiess, December 29, 2014, 12:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

You should be able to change batteries if it's not an iPhone. One of the things I miss now and was happy about when I had a Samsung was back up batteries.

I don't think modern batteries are adversely affected by turning the phone on or off or draining it fully.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2015, 09:56:05 AM
I honestly and sincerely don't understand what you mean.  Like I should leave it on all the time, that will save the battery??

Phones are notoriously inefficient at booting.  A computer boots in around 10 seconds from a solid-state drive, and in about 40-60 seconds from a traditional hard drive.  Phones can take more in the minutes range to get all their various background services started to the point where you can at least make a phone call (they're getting better about this, but they're still comparatively slow.

You can eke out some lifespan from your battery by getting into the habit of draining it completely, then charging it completely.  Really, though, alkaline rechargeables benefit more from that (having to do with keeping the alkaline reaction as efficient as possible).  With lithium-ions, it'll probably give you a couple weeks extra on a battery that's already likely to last 3-5 years before needing to be replaced (unless you're really wildly overcharging the battery).
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 21, 2015, 10:39:19 AM
Phones are notoriously inefficient at booting.  A computer boots in around 10 seconds from a solid-state drive, and in about 40-60 seconds from a traditional hard drive.  Phones can take more in the minutes range to get all their various background services started to the point where you can at least make a phone call (they're getting better about this, but they're still comparatively slow.

Which means what in terms of me doing stuff?  I should leave it on all the time, in power save mode?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2015, 10:49:45 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 21, 2015, 10:39:19 AM

Which means what in terms of me doing stuff?  I should leave it on all the time, in power save mode?

Yes. You are wasting time turning it on-off.

My phone Nexus 5 has a current uptime of 313h, 12 days, uptime. My nexus4 got over 3000h uptime once.

It is said li-ion are at peak efficiency between 20% to 80%. Try to keep your battery around that figure.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

If all it saves me is time, I probably won't bother.  I thought you guys were saying it killed the battery, or did something else bad to the phone, to leave it off.

Grey Fox

Imo, your battery was just drained.

Admiral Yi

Are you trying to be mysterious GF?  I honestly know jack shit about cell phones so I can't decode some of the stuff you're posting.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2015, 12:09:43 PM
Are you trying to be mysterious GF?  I honestly know jack shit about cell phones so I can't decode some of the stuff you're posting.

What you're doing right now is fine. What happened to your battery was simply a full drain and all it needed was some time charging.

As you were.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Barrister

GF is right though, there's no real need to turn your phone off regularly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 12:32:05 PM
GF is right though, there's no real need to turn your phone off regularly.

Is there any advantage other than not having to wait for the phone to boot?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2015, 12:09:43 PM

No, I always have a hard judging people's understanding of technology.

Admiral Yi

Two messages with a date and time stamp Thursday afternoon/evening didn't show up on my phone until late Friday.

Am i doing something wrong?

This is the first time this has happened to me, although one person claimed to send me a text I never got.

Grey Fox

If these are regular text msg, you are probably not doing anything wrong. Networks throttle text msg all the time.

Josquius

I have a windows phone. I fancied a difference and was still holding out hope of cracking my iphone.
The interface certainly is very nice but:

1: apps suck. Even where there is a app available on the platform it is clear the makers have put very little effort into it. Windows phone Facebook for example is embarrassing.

2: something about the way I interact with it.... It just doesn't seem as smooth as an iphone or even an android. The keyboard is slow.

3: the system takes up a crazy amount of disk space. 6gb out of 16...
██████
██████
██████