News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Otto Skorzeny, the Irish Farmer

Started by Syt, December 30, 2014, 04:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2014, 05:53:32 PM
The name doesn't sound very Polish. More like Czech/Hungarian or Prussian.

Considering his Viennese birth I'd think Hungarian. But Czech/Slovakian/Hungarian/Croat names are common among "old" Viennese families.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2014, 05:54:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2014, 05:48:00 PM
My wife's family knew no Nazis.  None.

Okay, they knew Rudel and Tank.  But nobody else.

My mom's family did, on the Hess side.  Some quite prominent...  They say I take after my mad great great uncle.

My Grandmother was invited to meet Hitler after the annexation of the Sudetenland since she was working as a spy smuggling information on Czech Army positions and strength across the border via bicycle.  She ended up fainting in Hitler's arms, he responded by patting her on the back and saying "ist ja gut".

My grand uncle ended up a Colonel in the Waffen-SS, was captured near Budapest in '45 and spent 10 years in Siberia.

After the war of course everybody in my family was always opposed to Hitler.  :P

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2014, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2014, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 04:41:59 PM
Is Skorzeny originally a Hungarian name, or something else?

IIRC his family had vague Polish origins.

Where is Skorzęcin?

So? I guess by that logic Paris of Troy was French. The suffix "eny" is not Polish.

And besides, the village is in the former Prussian district - so not unlikely that it was founded by Prussians and then the name was polonised.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Martinus on December 31, 2014, 03:05:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2014, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2014, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 04:41:59 PM
Is Skorzeny originally a Hungarian name, or something else?

IIRC his family had vague Polish origins.

Where is Skorzęcin?

So? I guess by that logic Paris of Troy was French. The ending "eny" is not Polish.

And besides, the village is in the former Prussian district - so not unlikely that it was founded by Prussians and then the name was polonised.
I believe Skorzeny was originally from Galizien, which of course was a mishmash of German, polish, Ukrainian, and Jews.

Martinus

My mom's family did, on the Hess side.  Some quite prominent...  They say I take after my mad great great uncle.

Wow, and you dare accuse my ancestors of collaboration. Ironic.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on December 31, 2014, 03:10:38 AM

Wow, and you dare accuse my ancestors of collaboration. Ironic.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on December 31, 2014, 03:05:06 AM
So? I guess by that logic Paris of Troy was French. The suffix "eny" is not Polish.

Or possibly the name was originally Polish but modified later.  Note that I did say *vague* Polish origins.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall