19 things that are cheaper than raising a child in 2014

Started by Syt, December 24, 2014, 03:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 24, 2014, 12:00:23 PM
Why would I want any of that shit?

Yeah but then I feel the same way about having kids.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on December 24, 2014, 09:19:50 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 24, 2014, 09:01:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2014, 03:45:56 AM
There is not enough effort put into PSAs encouraging people not to breed. Especially if you can't get your life together, you shouldn't bring more people into this world.

Edit: and before I get slaughtered by mad parents here, I actually think that most of those Languishites who have kids should have them. I am talking about other people.
Our economic and social systems require a constant and furious increase in population.

We need to redistribute more. That's ought to fix it.

Care to explain how this in any way relates to my point that upper and middle class should be breeding while the lower class should be discouraged from breeding?

I would imagine the need to redistribute would increase in the current model, where the lower class is doing most of the breeding while the upper and middle classes are breeding less, thus leading to accumulation of capital in the hands of the few. In fact such model, coupled with your aversion to redistribution, is a sure-fire way to a revolution.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2014, 02:06:59 AM
Care to explain how this in any way relates to my point that upper and middle class should be breeding while the lower class should be discouraged from breeding? I would imagine the need to redistribute would increase in the current model, where the lower class is doing most of the breeding.

Thing is, that's the best and easiest way to keep them lower class.  Why do you think conservatives hate the concepts of reproductive rights, access to birth control and abortion?  Because they love little black babies?  How many do you think derspiess has in his collection?

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on December 24, 2014, 09:01:09 AM
There is not enough effort put into PSAs encouraging people not to breed. Especially if you can't get your life together, you shouldn't bring more people into this world.

Edit: and before I get slaughtered by mad parents here, I actually think that most of those Languishites who have kids should have them. I am talking about other people.
Our economic and social systems require a constant and furious increase in population.
The fetish of demographic growth has done more harm than good to modern economy. The capitalism of the late 20th and early 21st century has led to a situation where the lower class is effectively encouraged (or rather has no disincentives) to breed, has no access to decent birth control but, on the other hand, can have as many children as they want in a relatively responsibility-free environment.

Meanwhile, middle class, with its increasing workload, career model that discourages people (especially mothers) from splitting time between work and parenting and the ability to afford birth control, is postponing having children until later age. This leads to a situation which is the exact opposite of the desirable - i.e. people who shouldn't have kids have them and people who should do not.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

That is only a problem if mobility is fucked as it is in Britain.
Not all lower class kids have lower class abilities  and ambitions.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2014, 02:15:20 AM
has no access to decent birth control

Are condoms expensive and hard to find in Poland?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2014, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 24, 2014, 12:01:40 PM

I think things are going your way Mart.  Birth rates are way down in countries where girls are not forced to start popping out kids at age 15.

I had never thought of 1950's America as a place where girls are forced to pop out kids at age 15, but there you go.

I had never thought 1950's America as a place existing today, but there you go.  And anyway I was not being literal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy