"They are the most brutal and most dangerous enemy I have ever seen in my life."

Started by mongers, December 23, 2014, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Said by a German author, who's just returned from the Islamic State territory; a sterling piece of journalism from him and his son, especially given the murders of journalists by IS terrorists.

The video footage and the whole article are well worth a full viewing and reading:

Rare Islamic State visit reveals 'brutal and strong' force
By Caroline Hawley and James Longman
World Affairs Unit, BBC News

A German author given rare access to territory run by Islamic State has told the BBC that the group is stronger, more brutal and harder to confront than he had expected.

Juergen Todenhoefer spent six days in the IS city of Mosul in Iraq, travelling there via Raqqa, in Syria.

Mr Todenhoefer said he found IS followers highly motivated and supportive of the group's brutality.

He said the spread of fighters meant they were hard targets for air strikes.

A former German politician, Juergen Todenhoefer is the only outsider to have travelled deep into IS territory and back. And, considering that several Westerners have recently been beheaded, he did so at terrifying risk.

In Mosul, captured with lightning speed by IS in June, Mr Todenhoefer saw how the group imposes its extreme version of Sunni Islam.

Posters instruct men on the right positions in which to pray and tell women how to fully cover themselves.

They must not, for example, wear clothes that "resemble those worn by infidel women or men".

Images on advertising hoardings have been blacked out, and a bookshop displays pamphlets and tomes on religious rulings, including how to treat slaves.

He met child fighters bearing arms for the "caliphate," and encountered recruits from around the world, including the UK, US, Sweden and Trinidad and Tobago.

Rule by fear

Mr Todenhoefer said he was struck by their brutal zeal, and the scale of their ambition to carry out "religious cleansing" and to expand their territory.

"There is an enthusiasm that I've never seen before in warzones," he said.

"They are so confident, so sure of themselves. At the beginning of this year, few people knew of IS. But now they have conquered an area the size of the UK. This is a one per cent movement with the power of a nuclear bomb or a tsunami."

Filmed by his son - with a permit guaranteeing their safety - his material gives the impression of a group busy entrenching their bureaucracy, relatively unperturbed by the threat of coalition air strikes.

"I had the impression that they want to show that the Islamic State is working," Mr Todenhoefer said.

Rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30585783

I'm giving this a new thread as I think it's progressed far enough that it now has some of the characteristics of a state, a rogue one that will have to be dealt with.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Draft fucking war mongers, eh?

You want it done, you get Germany to do it. We broke ourselves trying to fix that tea pot. Let them have their lame recapitulation of the 30 Years War that's not even as cool as ours, learning the same lesson we spent decades trying to teach them, except this time the hard way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Fuck that. We save the Kurds & Yazidis. Esthablish a clear frontier & limits and let the Muslim world deal with that BS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2014, 02:53:04 PM
Fuck that. We save the Kurds & Yazidis. Esthablish a clear frontier & limits and let the Muslim world deal with that BS.

:thumbsup:

I think we should airlift all the Yazidis to the US, toss them all a green card.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2014, 02:54:33 PM
I think we should airlift all the Yazidis to the US, toss them all a green card.

Hell yeah, they don't deserve to live in the middle of that bullshit.  They'd be happier in Reno.

Ideologue

Wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Maximus

Too much lettuce. Maybe Madagascar?

Ideologue

Actually, there's what, like 30 of them? It might be ok. Bad precedent tho.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

If things suck somewhere else, afflicted populations can just come here, to America.

...look, lots of things have changed since 1880.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2014, 03:11:15 PM
We're full. No pasaran.

Who are you, fucking Little Town of Bethlehem Innkeeper #2 in this year's 1st grade Christmas Pageant?