And we're back!

Main Menu

Most famous brand per U.S. state

Started by Syt, December 19, 2014, 08:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2014, 03:53:47 PM
I would have thought that Microsoft is a bigger and more famous brand then Starbucks.
Microsoft isn't really a famous brand name though. "Windows" is however and I would guess it is more famous than Starbucks. You'll not find a single country in the world that doesn't have computers operating Windows, but you'll find plenty of countries that don't have Starbucks.

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on December 19, 2014, 10:09:31 AM
Which of these do you guys recognise (if any)?

From my stay at Poland this last few months, I recognise Tyskie (though I don't drink beer) and Zubrowka (I preferred a honey-flavored vodka which I will never be able to remember let alone pronounce).

Valmy

Tyskie was the joke sponsor of my Poland AAR from 2003 but beyond that...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on December 21, 2014, 11:59:11 AM

From my stay at Poland this last few months, I recognise Tyskie (though I don't drink beer) and Zubrowka (I preferred a honey-flavored vodka which I will never be able to remember let alone pronounce).
Krupnik?
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on December 19, 2014, 08:58:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2014, 03:26:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2014, 09:37:37 AM
Maryland   GEICO   The Government Employees Insurance Company is based out of Chevy Chase.

Granted, most of Maryland's biggest organizations are government, medical or financial, but because it's only a few blocks north of the DC line on Connecticut Avenue, they label the whole state with it?  That's the corporate brand?  What, nobody's ever heard of Black & Decker? Under Armour? Purdue?  Marriott?

Pfft, weak.

I do wonder about the methodology.  Even for WV, granted that there aren't all that many big companies headquartered there, I'd have thought that Gabriel Brothers, Go-Mart, Marquee Cinemas, and Tudor's Biscuit World would all be better know than Gino's (as someone said up-thread, its pizza is pretty crappy, though it used to be better before the mid-80's), and maybe Mister Bee Potato Chips and Blenko Glass, too.

I would think they used something like this to estimate brand value...

Take the market cap of the company, and then add to it the liabilities the company has. That gives you the enterprise value.

The enterprise value is equal to the fair value of the enterprise's assets. So you can start allocating. Cash is easy to estimate, are things like receivables and fixed assets.

Intangibles, including brand values, are more difficult. But a company like Microsoft has a lot intellectual property like patents that will get value allocated to them (in addition to having its brand value distributed to multiple streams). For companies like Starbucks and Dr. Pepper, their brand value is a lot more concentrated.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2014, 01:09:09 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 21, 2014, 11:59:11 AM

Krupnik?

Maybe. I used to order it in English. :P

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on December 21, 2014, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: dps on December 19, 2014, 08:58:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2014, 03:26:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2014, 09:37:37 AM
Maryland   GEICO   The Government Employees Insurance Company is based out of Chevy Chase.

Granted, most of Maryland's biggest organizations are government, medical or financial, but because it's only a few blocks north of the DC line on Connecticut Avenue, they label the whole state with it?  That's the corporate brand?  What, nobody's ever heard of Black & Decker? Under Armour? Purdue?  Marriott?

Pfft, weak.

I do wonder about the methodology.  Even for WV, granted that there aren't all that many big companies headquartered there, I'd have thought that Gabriel Brothers, Go-Mart, Marquee Cinemas, and Tudor's Biscuit World would all be better know than Gino's (as someone said up-thread, its pizza is pretty crappy, though it used to be better before the mid-80's), and maybe Mister Bee Potato Chips and Blenko Glass, too.

I would think they used something like this to estimate brand value...

Take the market cap of the company, and then add to it the liabilities the company has. That gives you the enterprise value.

The enterprise value is equal to the fair value of the enterprise's assets. So you can start allocating. Cash is easy to estimate, are things like receivables and fixed assets.

Intangibles, including brand values, are more difficult. But a company like Microsoft has a lot intellectual property like patents that will get value allocated to them (in addition to having its brand value distributed to multiple streams). For companies like Starbucks and Dr. Pepper, their brand value is a lot more concentrated.

It says "most famous" brand, though.  Fame and value aren't the same thing at all.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: dps on December 21, 2014, 09:21:30 PM

It says "most famous" brand, though.  Fame and value aren't the same thing at all.

They are if you're in marketing.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Sure Bank of America is a famous brand and it may be technically head quartered in North Carolina, but it was founded in San Francisco.  Hardly anybody thinks of it as a North Carolinian company.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2014, 09:33:18 PM
Sure Bank of America is a famous brand and it may be technically head quartered in North Carolina, but it was founded in San Francisco.  Hardly anybody thinks of it as a North Carolinian company.

Started as Bank of Italy. Seriously. In SF.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Bank of America was bought out/merged with a NC bank, hence the HQ.

Nationsbank??  I'm guessing.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2014, 09:36:31 PM
Bank of America was bought out/merged with a NC bank, hence the HQ.

Nationsbank??  I'm guessing.

Wachovia maybe. Not sure now.

CountDeMoney

WellsFargo bought out Wachovia, IIRC.

MadImmortalMan