News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Queen of Torture: Alfreda Bikowsky?

Started by Jacob, December 19, 2014, 02:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2014, 02:17:37 AM
Alfreda Bikowsky and Valerie Plame: double standard or not?

Accusing the media of having double standards mistakenly implies that they have standards in the first place. 

I'm not really being flip here, either.  While there are standards that journalists are supposed to conform to, it seems that that aren't really followed at very many media outlets.

grumbler

Dunno.  If Bikowski served under cover overseas, then yes.  If not, then no.  Do you have reason to believe that she did so serve, or were you just on a fishing expedition?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 20, 2014, 12:25:25 PM

Accusing the media of having double standards mistakenly implies that they have standards in the first place. 

I'm not really being flip here, either.  While there are standards that journalists are supposed to conform to, it seems that that aren't really followed at very many media outlets.
:rolleyes:  Okay, Mr Black-and-white.

At least you properly used media as a plural noun, so there's that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2014, 04:37:57 PM

Dunno.  If Bikowski served under cover overseas, then yes.  If not, then no.  Do you have reason to believe that she did so serve, or were you just on a fishing expedition?

The article does mention that she personally oversaw torture which ussually happens overseas. 

Oh I forgot.  Someone tell Grumbler, that the article mentions she personally oversaw torture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2014, 04:50:33 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2014, 04:37:57 PM

The article does mention that she personally oversaw torture which ussually happens overseas. 

Oh I forgot.  Someone tell Grumbler, that the article mentions she personally oversaw torture.

Stop being Razzy. 

Bikowsky is a high level manager and administrator, Plame was a covert asset.  Her identity would not be covert, what with the name on the door and the business cards and whatnot.
Bikowsky's identity was withheld by the CIA specifically to prevent agency embarrassment.   Plame's identity was leaked by the Vice President's office to the press specifically for embarrassment.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2014, 05:09:55 PM

Stop being Razzy. 

Bikowsky is a high level manager and administrator, Plame was a covert asset.  Her identity would not be covert, what with the name on the door and the business cards and whatnot.
Bikowsky's identity was withheld by the CIA specifically to prevent agency embarrassment.   Plame's identity was leaked by the Vice President's office to the press specifically for embarrassment.

I don't know enough about her to make decision if she it was improper to reveal her name or not.  It did say she personally oversaw torture at least one time. Is that covert thing or overt thing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
I don't know enough about her to make decision if she it was improper to reveal her name or not.  It did say she personally oversaw torture at least one time. Is that covert thing or overt thing?

Taking it upon oneself to go see KSM's waterboarding personally is not issue of one's covert or overt identity. 

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2014, 05:09:55 PM
Stop being Razzy. 

You are about ten years too late!  :lol:

QuoteBikowsky is a high level manager and administrator, Plame was a covert asset.  Her identity would not be covert, what with the name on the door and the business cards and whatnot.
Bikowsky's identity was administratively withheld by the CIA specifically to prevent agency embarrassment.   Plame's identity was illegally leaked by the Vice President's office to the press specifically for embarrassment.

I don't think Raz can grasp the difference between blowing the cover of a covert overseas operative and revealing the identity of a CIA bureaucrat who may have left the US for a time.  The law knows the difference.  And Raz's limitations don't prevent any of us from understanding the difference, so I'd leave him to stew in his own ignorance.  FYPFY, btw.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I will leave it to Yi decide if my statements are over the top here.