News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Poland, Warsaw

Started by swallow, August 07, 2009, 02:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swallow

We're there for 3 days, could any one recommend good kiddy stuff, really nice parks and good Art Galleries.  Plus anything we really ought to see. Oh, and nice places to eat/snack. We'll have a car for one day, although most of that day it will be used for going to an air show. 

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

swallow

Martinus

Well, it's a bit of a hit and miss, since they have changing exhibitions, but I would recommend trying the National Museum and the Modern Art Gallery "Zacheta".

http://www.mnw.art.pl/index.php/en/

http://www.zacheta.art.pl/index.php?homepage=1&lang=2

What days are you planning to be in? We have a national holiday coming on 15th of August, so this may affect things you can do/see.

In terms of what else there is to see, check out the old town (lots of nice restaurants/bars there). You can also check out the "Lazienki" Palace/Park complex and the Wilanow Palace - the latter being a bit to the side of the town, but a nice place, with some baroque and classical art (it was the summer palace of Polish kings, built in the 17th century).

Warsaw isn't really a great place to visit for tourists - it's a bit like Brussels - nice to live, but not a lot of landmarks etc.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on August 07, 2009, 08:41:24 AMnice to live, but not a lot of landmarks etc.
[Germany]You're welcome.[/Germany]
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

:lol:

Here are some more links:

The Wilanow Palace: http://www.wilanow-palac.art.pl/index_en.php

The Lazienki Palace and Park: http://www.lazienki-krolewskie.pl/

Unfortunately, in the latter, the English language website seems to be down. But it is a nice place in the city center, very close to the US embassy. There are Chopin music concerts there in the open air, under the Chopin's statue, every Sunday at noon and 4 p.m., so if you are around at this time, could be a nice thing to see.

Martinus

Do you know what hotel you will be staying in?

Pishtaco

I spent two weeks there, earlier this year. I think the only thing I saw was that park. I read a bit about ww2 stuff and the uprising, but the effect was to make me depressed rather than to inspire me to visit anything.

swallow

Thanks very much for the huge amounts of info Martinus. 
Knowing where to eat is always useful - there's nothing worse than having no idea where to head for when you're hungry. The Chopin open air concerts sound really nice - I just hope a little boy isn't too tired by that stage - and the gallery and museum info will be very useful - littl'un knows he just has to put up with that. We're at Hotel Jan 111 Sobieski, which has mixed reviews - the annonymous ones are surprisingly the best!- but it apparently serves excellent breakfasts and seems well located for public transport.  I think the Zoo is a definite must, both for its history and animals and we may well check out  any boat  trips.

Martinus

Oh I know the hotel. It's more of a business trip style place, so may be overpriced, but I think it is decent.

If you are into sampling ethnic cuisine, make sure to find a "Chlopskie Jadlo" restaurant (it is pronounced "H-wop-skee-eh Y-ah-dwo") - any taxi driver should know where to find one - it serves Polish ethnic food, and has restaurants outfitted as 19th century Polish peasant inns, so your kids may like it. We went to one during the Languish meet in Krakow last year and it seemed like everybody enjoyed it.

Just be prepared for fat food in huge quantities. :P

Razgovory

Or you can visit Warsaw, Missouri!  Which is way better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

swallow

Quote from: swallow on August 08, 2009, 05:48:21 AM
Thanks very much for the huge amounts of info Martinus. 
Knowing where to eat is always useful - there's nothing worse than having no idea where to head for when you're hungry. The Chopin open air concerts sound really nice - I just hope a little boy isn't too tired by that stage - and the gallery and museum info will be very useful - littl'un knows he just has to put up with that. We're at Hotel Jan 111 Sobieski, which has mixed reviews - the annonymous ones are surprisingly the best!- but it apparently serves excellent breakfasts and seems well located for public transport.  I think the Zoo is a definite must, both for its history and animals and we may well check out  any boat  trips.
They look good and the one in Warsaw looks fairly easy to find.  The menu does look as though I'll have to be eating a lot of Olive oil both before and after my visit, however, and I think I'd better get hubby to do the same!