The Quiet German: The astonishing rise of Angela Merkel

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2014, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 13, 2014, 11:47:58 AM
:hmm: The original budget for the whole fucking airport in Berlin is the same as the original budget for replacing one bridge in New York.

Well if it's a fucking airport then it's probably subsidized by whore taxes, or something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on December 17, 2014, 12:16:16 PM
This is currently the hottest topic in German politics: Anti-islamist, anti-asylum, anti-Europe right wing movements are on an upswing. First the political party AfD, now demonstrations by "Pegida". Let's hope this is just a flash in the pan...   

QuoteAnti-Islam 'Pegida' march in German city of Dresden

About 15,000 people have taken part in a march against "Islamisation of the West" in the east German city of Dresden.

A large counter-demonstration of more than 5,000 people was also held. No major incidents were reported.

Dresden is the birthplace of a movement called "Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West" (Pegida), which staged a big rally a week ago.

[...]

In Monday's march, protesters chanted Wir sind das Volk (we are the people) - a rallying cry used in the city in the weeks before the fall of the Berlin Wall 25 years ago.

One elderly man shouted: "I'm a pensioner. I only get a small pension but I have to pay for all these people (asylum seekers). No-one asked me!"

A woman who travelled 80km (50 miles) for the demonstration told the BBC: "I am not right wing, I'm not a Nazi. I am just worried for my country, for my granddaughter."

Earlier, Justice Minister Heiko Maas called Pegida's protests "a disgrace". But the Eurosceptic party Alternativ fuer Deutschland (AfD) is sympathetic.

"Most of their demands are legitimate," said Bernd Lucke, leader of AfD, which has campaigned for a tougher policy on immigration, as well as rejection of the euro.

In the western city of Cologne, about 15,000 people attended a demonstration on Sunday to promote tolerance and open-mindedness, under the motto: "You are Cologne - no Nazis here."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30478321

QuoteSupporters can be found all over the country, but protests in western Germany have so far failed to attract large numbers of supporters. In eastern Germany, however, the rallies against immigrants have quickly gained steam – despite the fact that only few foreigners currently live there.

In the center of the protests – a region called Saxony – only 2.5 percent of all inhabitants do not have German citizenship. Many western German regions, however, have a much higher foreigner ratio of about 10 percent.

"Many eastern Germans know only few or no foreigners; they are scared because they have no idea what to expect from the influx of refugees," political scientist Werner Patzelt told The Washington Post.

German authorities estimate that there are about 10,000 right-wingers all over the country who are prone to use violence, and officials have observed a recent rise in politically motivated attacks against foreigners and other minorities.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/12/16/whats-behind-the-astonishing-rise-of-an-anti-islam-movement-in-germany/

You know youre coming from somewhere truly shit when Hungary is a beacon of tolerwnce and opportunity :lol: Wtf?

Interesting chart. Wonder how it compares to accepted applications. Thats something to show the anti immigrant lot in britain who are convinced everyone is coming here...
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Well... Hungary is still in the EU, so there's an onward road once you make it in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on December 17, 2014, 12:16:16 PM
This is currently the hottest topic in German politics: Anti-islamist, anti-asylum, anti-Europe right wing movements are on an upswing. First the political party AfD, now demonstrations by "Pegida". Let's hope this is just a flash in the pan...   

I think a major part of the problem is that immigrant assimilation works best when it's slow, progressive and a two-way street.  The influx into Germany by so many Muslims has been too fast, too abrupt and, quite frankly, too alien.