Sunday NY Times piece on British Snobbery, for all you little plebs and gits

Started by CountDeMoney, December 06, 2014, 11:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 05:26:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2014, 02:02:05 AM
But in Britain class extends way beyond economic standing. It is about subculture. You can be very poor and still be solidly upper class or upper-middle, similarly you can be very rich and still very proud of the fact you're working class. In fact both are pretty common.

Which is totally alien here. Closest, would be old money vs. new money but that isn't a distinction that has any bearing except on the elite.

To me it is perfectly familiar. Even during communism we had the term "intelligentsia" which pretty much served to capture the upper class in a supposedly classless society.

So yet another way that America is actually unique on the class issue and not just hiding it as many have suggested. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 05:25:36 PM
Everybody could afford piano or gloves. And they were all equally poor.

Gloves sure, but a piano?  Did Communist Poland manage to produce remarkably cheap pianos?  :huh:

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2014, 05:32:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 05:25:36 PM
Everybody could afford piano or gloves. And they were all equally poor.

Gloves sure, but a piano?  Did Communist Poland manage to produce remarkably cheap pianos?  :huh:

That's what I'm saying.  Pianos are pretty expensive.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)