New Republic Exodus: Dozens Of Editors and Journalists Resign

Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2014, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 06, 2014, 02:43:51 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2014, 02:29:41 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 06, 2014, 01:17:14 AM
This bit is a little hilarious coming from a lawyer. :P

Stop being butthurt and do something about it.

This isn't about that.  Save it for when it is.  You won't have to wait long. :P

Lawyering is the most self-important profession on the face of the planet, except maybe doctors.  It is almost without a doubt the profession with the largest gulf between its opinion of its own importance and the importance of its average practicioner.

I think doctors are, as a rule, more ethical on average though. Lawyers and journalists are scum of the earth.

Ideologue

I dunno.  Doctors are always eating their patients or stealing their faces to graft onto their disfigured daughters.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

I mean, doctors at least try to do good by preventing death, disease and/or pain (I mean if they are not corrupt etc). The very adversarial nature of most lawyering means that at least one side must be wrong, objectively speaking, and is trying to prevent the side that is right from succeeding fully.

Sure the system as a whole works (or at least is better than any alternative) but it says something about lawyers on an individual level. It's like people who choose to be prison guards, proctologists or butchers - the job is necessary but that doesn't mean those who do it are not fucked up.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on December 06, 2014, 03:15:53 AM
Lawyers and journalists are scum of the earth.

As a copywriter, I resent that and demand to be included. I write for money with no ethical standards.  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Norgy on December 06, 2014, 05:27:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 06, 2014, 03:15:53 AM
Lawyers and journalists are scum of the earth.

As a copywriter, I resent that and demand to be included. I write for money with no ethical standards.  :mad:

Pfff. You're like the marketing sore on the ass of the journalistic world. You're so in.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Martinus

Oh but lawyers and journalists are like coprophahi bacteria - disgusting scum but necessary.

Copywriters, telemarketers and PR experts are a different type of beast. One that should be put down with extreme prejudice, so their souls can burn in tar with other swindlers and grafters in Malebolge. :P

Norgy

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2014, 10:33:19 PM
I love the American press and there's some great writers but God as a group they're nauseatingly self-obsessed/involved. 'A kind of public trust', for Christ's sake :bleeding:

Somebody has to man the walls.  If an industry doesn't police itself for integrity, then it becomes FOX News.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe mass departure came one day after a shakeup that saw the resignation of top editor Franklin Foer and veteran literary editor Leon Wieseltier, both of whom resigned due to differences of vision with Hughes, a 31-year-old Facebook co-founder who bought the magazine in 2012.

:bleeding:

You can say what you want about TNR and the state of political commentary and long-form journalism today, but that's nothing compared to the state of media today when a bunch of snot-nosed, Zuckerberg-hoodied Millennial Adderal-addled assclown Assburgers running around with more intraweb money than they know what to do with can take over media.  Barf.  Fucking kids.  THE ARTICLES ARE TOO BIG READING HURTS

QuoteThose who resigned are senior editors Jonathan Cohn, Isaac Chotiner, Julia Ioffe, John Judis, Adam Kirsch, Alec MacGillis, Noam Scheiber, Judith Shulevitz and Jason Zengerle; executive editors Rachel Morris and Greg Veis; digital media editor Hillary Kelly (who resigned from her honeymoon in Africa); legal affairs editor Jeffrey Rosen; and poetry editor Henri Cole and dance editor Jennifer Homans. Contributing editors Anne Applebaum, Paul Berman, Christopher Benfey, Jonathan Chait, William Deresiewicz, Justin Driver, TA Frank, Ruth Franklin, Jack Goldsmith, Anthony Grafton, David Grann, David Greenberg, Robert Kagan, Enrique Krauze, Damon Linker, Ryan Lizza, John McWhorter, Sacha Z. Scoblic, Cass Sunstein, Alan Taylor, Helen Vendler and Sean Wilentz.

Many of those who resigned on Friday believe that Hughes and Vidra now intend to turn TNR into a click-focused digital media company, at the expense of the magazine's strong editorial traditions and venerable brand, according to sources who attended the gathering at Foer's house.

"The narrative you're going to see Chris and Guy put out there is that I and the rest of my colleagues who quit today were dinosaurs, who think that the Internet is scary and that Buzzfeed is a slur. Don't believe them," Julia Ioffe, one of the resigning senior editors, wrote in a Facebook post. "The staff at TNR has always been faithful to the magazine's founding mission to experiment, and nowhere have I been so encouraged to do so. There was no opposition in the editorial ranks to expanding TNR's web presence, to innovating digitally. Many were even board for going monthly. We're not afraid of change. We have always embraced it."

"As for the health of long-form journalism, well, the pieces that often did the best online were the deeply reported, carefully edited and fact-checked, and beautifully written," Ioffe wrote. "Those were the pieces that got the most clicks."

NEEDS MOAR CLICKS

Neil

I thought that Buzzfeed was a slur.

Also, it's important to remember that lawyer don't really do anything important.  They create the demand themselves, and if we were to execute the lot of them, something better could be created.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 06, 2014, 08:08:21 PM
I thought that Buzzfeed was a slur.

It's all monkey shitfights at the zoo now that the Zuckerbergtards are building media business models on clicks per minute.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2014, 07:12:49 PM
You can say what you want about TNR and the state of political commentary and long-form journalism today

I think the people have already said enough with their wallets.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.