You can't go home again, or Combat Mission hates me

Started by Ed Anger, June 15, 2009, 08:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

After reading Red Storm on the Reich, I get a hankering to kill some rooskies. Install CM:BB on my now slightly aging super elite machine, then watch as the graphics shimmy and flash in the background.

Check the forums, no good fix for Vista/Newer Gayforce cards.

FUCK. I want to shoot up T-34's with Tigers.  :(

I R sad and emo. I will cut myself with my Luftwaffe dagger.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

You could try:
Panzer Command: Kharkov
Panzer Command: Winter Storm
(both Matrix, supposedly similar to Combat Mission, but suckier)

Or Battlefront's Theater of War. Sucky at release, supposedly better after patching.

You could also pick up Men of War from Gamersgate while it's on sale.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

The matrix games are crap, and Theater of War was thoroughly unimpressive in demo form.

I'll look into Men of War.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2009, 10:58:23 AM

Horrid voice acting galore and Hollywood action await you. The Blitzkrieg games are also probably cheap by now (and dated).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2009, 11:08:55 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2009, 10:58:23 AM

Horrid voice acting galore and Hollywood action await you. The Blitzkrieg games are also probably cheap by now (and dated).

I'll pass after hearing that.

Syt

Or you bite the bullet and try:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-OWWII/officers-world-war-ii
QuoteOfficers faces World War II real-time strategy gamers with warfare on a previously unseen scale. Formidable battles are possible, with more than 1,500 units fighting simultaneously across up to 10 square miles of battlefield.

You command the US combat units; your aim is to smash the Germans' western front. In multiplayer mode, you can also command Russian or German troops. Historical battles such as Operations Overlord, Millennium and Cobra will put your tactical abilities to the test, as you have skillfully to combine infantry, tank, artillery and air troops.

Speed and power will only lead to victory if you extend your troops' supply lines and capture enemy emplacements and depots. Strategically beneficial high-ground and the varied landscape can be used to your advantage. Thanks to an advanced map editor, you can recreate other historical battles or design your own.

•Historically correct battles, beginning with the Normandy landings
•Infantry can barricade and entrench in houses, trenches etc.
•Up to 1,500 units simultaneously in one sector
•Multiplayer mode for up to 8 players involving Allied, German and Russian troops
•More than 70 different unit types (Infantry, light vehicles, tanks, artillery, air troops, navy)
•Map Editor to design scenarios and missions in either single or multiplayer mode
•Elaborate winter and summer scenarios
•Surroundings completely destructible
•Sophisticated resource management
•Taking of enemy emplacements with house-to-house combat in an urban environment
•Realistic change between day and night
•Combined artillery, infantry and air-force operations
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2009, 02:59:18 PM
QuoteOnly available in West Europe.

:lol:

No shit.  Too funny.

I refuse to purchase wargames that don't possess the Nazi swastika.  We weren't fighting the fucking Kaiser, you know.  Atrocious.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2009, 04:47:02 PM

No shit.  Too funny.

I refuse to purchase wargames that don't possess the Nazi swastika.  We weren't fighting the fucking Kaiser, you know.  Atrocious.

Battlefront renamed all the SS to  "Waffen Grenadiers".  On their old message boards, there was some quite hilarious threads over it.

Syt

See how I feel when trying to buy a bargain bin fps on D2D. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould