News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China, Turkey drop in corruption index

Started by Syt, December 03, 2014, 04:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Don't know about the others, but I imagine the opportunities for corruption in Cuba are very limited.

Also, tax avoidance is not free.

Norgy

I'd have thought the poorer the country (at least to a degree), the more minor corruption would exist.
You know, just oiling the wheels of a very slow moving bureaucracy.

I think those doing the survey deserve credit for trying to measure something that will try to avoid being measured.

The Minsky Moment

I feel the same way about some of these "Human Development" indexes or the like.  It's basically a kitchen sink approach of finding a bunch of incommensurable variables and throwing them altogether.  In trying to cover everything you end up saying nothing coherent.  No doubt Italy has corruption problems but there is massive FDI and their bonds yield like 2 percent despite high debt.  So on a basic market test the problem doesn't quite as bad as the index would suggest.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 03, 2014, 06:50:01 PM
I feel the same way about some of these "Human Development" indexes or the like.  It's basically a kitchen sink approach of finding a bunch of incommensurable variables and throwing them altogether.  In trying to cover everything you end up saying nothing coherent. 

We Norwegians love them, because they, and other stuff nobody cares about like cross-country skiing and the Winter Olympics make us feel important.  :showoff:

Jacob

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on December 03, 2014, 06:53:51 PM
I feel the same way about some of these "Human Development" indexes or the like.  It's basically a kitchen sink approach of finding a bunch of incommensurable variables and throwing them altogether.  In trying to cover everything you end up saying nothing coherent. 

We Norwegians love them, because they, and other stuff nobody cares about like cross-country skiing and the Winter Olympics make us feel important.  :showoff:

:yes:

Just recently a study found that Vienna is the city with the best reputation in the world. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

I feel the same way about some of these "Human Development" indexes or the like.  It's basically a kitchen sink approach of finding a bunch of incommensurable variables and throwing them altogether.  In trying to cover everything you end up saying nothing coherent.  No doubt Italy has corruption problems but there is massive FDI and their bonds yield like 2 percent despite high debt.  So on a basic market test the problem doesn't quite as bad as the index would suggest.

Because they pay you good commissions. We get it.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Looking at it I'm very surprised japan scores well.
On a low level fair enough, not much corruption. But on a high level... Such a rotten system
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 04, 2014, 01:38:55 AM
Because they pay you good commissions. We get it.  :P

Yeah, yeah.

The funny thing is that in reality, the more governments fight corruption with transparency laws, investigations and sanctions, the more work exists for people like me.  FCPA in the US has been a powerful anti-corruption tool.  But it has also been a gold mine for big law firms.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson