Baseball 2014-15: The Hot Stove Top Stuffing Season

Started by CountDeMoney, December 01, 2014, 09:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 06, 2015, 06:59:16 PM
Mussina was a consistent top of rotation anchor for 18 straight years.  It is hard to over-state the value of that.  The only reason he didn't get 300 wins is he chose to leave gracefully rather than hang around an extra 3 years just piling numbers a la biggio.  The HOF is chock full of rotation anchor guys like him who were neither as consistent nor as good.  Eight years of top 6 CY voting is very impressive even if his top finish was 2nd (behind Pedro in one of Pedro's greatest of all time kind of years).  But to me the most impressive year was 2003 - he didn't get a single Cy vote but posted a 3.40 ERA pitching in front of a comically bad defense - Giambi at first, Alfonso Soriano at second (!), Jeter at SS, Bernie Williams rag armed in CF, and Raul Mondesi and Matsui at the corner outfield slots.   He somehow managed a sub 1.1 whip.  Incredible.

Mike Mussina's career is a NERD's wet dream, but he was not flashy enough or successful enough for today's subpar sports writers.  If he were on the ballot with his statistics in, say, 1986, he'd be a first ballot.  But the death of journalism strikes again, this time on the Sports pages.
Doesn't help that he's competing with all the biggest pitching names of the last 30 years, either, but he might have a chance next year, since from what I've seen the only guaranteed first-ballot HOF on next year's ballot is Junior.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Orioles and Delmon Young have agreed on a one-year deal to return last year's ALDS hero to Baltimore for another season of pinch hitting, lefty-mashing, and adventures in the outfield. 
:lol:

derspiess

Worst thing about the Bengals' season being over is 100% of local sports talk radio centering around the Reds.  They could talk about Xavier & UC basketball since they're actually playing their seasons but no-- let's wallow in the Reds' mediocrity.  I'm not a Reds fan, but they were far more interesting to follow before they got hopelessly locked into the Votto & Phillips contracts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2015, 08:39:32 PM
Mike Mussina's career is a NERD's wet dream, but he was not flashy enough or successful enough for today's subpar sports writers.  If he were on the ballot with his statistics in, say, 1986, he'd be a first ballot.  But the death of journalism strikes again, this time on the Sports pages.
Doesn't help that he's competing with all the biggest pitching names of the last 30 years, either, but he might have a chance next year, since from what I've seen the only guaranteed first-ballot HOF on next year's ballot is Junior.

Yeah, sadly for him garbon does not have a HOF ballot vote.
Whereas the people that voted in Jim "America's Worst Senator" Bunning are.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Nationals sign Max Scherzer.
Orioles shuffle some papers around, mumble something about prospects in Triple A, wait for Dan Duquette to stop lying to them about Toronto already.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2015, 08:56:29 PM
Pawsox are being moved to Providence. :(

No love for your home state Tim?

Though Providence does not deserve a sports team after the folding of the 1928 World Champion Providence Steam Roller in 1931 :weep:.  Best NFL franchise ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence_Steam_Roller
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2015, 10:07:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2015, 08:56:29 PM
Pawsox are being moved to Providence. :(

No love for your home state Tim?

Though Providence does not deserve a sports team after the folding of the 1928 World Champion Providence Steam Roller in 1931 :weep:.  Best NFL franchise ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence_Steam_Roller
:huh: Pawtucket is in Rhode Island.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2015, 10:42:03 PM:huh: Pawtucket is in Rhode Island.

Oh I am supposed to know the location of every Red Sox affiliate or something?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2015, 10:44:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2015, 10:42:03 PM:huh: Pawtucket is in Rhode Island.

Oh I am supposed to know the location of every Red Sox affiliate or something?
No, just the AAA one.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2015, 10:56:38 PMNo, just the AAA one.

Meh.  They are all small towns I have never heard of.  I thought you would appreciate my reference to Rhode Island NFL glory but nooooooo