News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favourite words

Started by Martinus, December 01, 2014, 07:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Josephus on December 01, 2014, 12:46:37 PM
Babble, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker
Brouhaha, balderdash, ballyhoo

THESE are some good solid woody words.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

"convenient" - There is no direct match in German but I find the word convenient in many situations.

mongers

:lol:

We know don't we.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

And now I have that going though my head.  Which isn't bad, just distracting.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Siege

Ack ack ack, ack ack, ack.
Ack ack, ACK!!!! 1111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on December 01, 2014, 05:40:31 PM
Ack ack ack, ack ack, ack.
Ack ack, ACK!!!! 1111

Do you come in peace?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Savonarola

Pacify:  That one has been used a lot at work to describe the area of Colombia we're building our system.  It makes what happened to FARC sound so serene.   :)

Prosaic:  Is in the similar vein in that it sounds like it should mean the opposite of what it does mean.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

PDH

Borborygmus
Insouciance
Hemidemisemiquaver
Egregious
Pancake
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".