News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anders Breivic, Three Years On

Started by Queequeg, November 29, 2014, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I prefer the more PC version: call a jigaboo a jigaboo.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 03:19:26 PM
Maybe we could change the thread title to something like "Norwegian bomb and gun massacre, three years on." ? 

As we're sort of perpetuating his name, infamy being in part what motivated him?

I like how "Breivic" sounds south-slavic rather thank "Breivik" which is arch-norwegian.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2014, 05:31:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 01, 2014, 05:27:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2014, 05:08:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2014, 04:43:59 PM
garbon, you seem to think freakiness is a bad thing. I do not share this view - just calling spade a spade.

Question for the masses - is the phrase "calling a spade a spade" really appropriate these days?

Some quick googling suggests that:

A. The phrase pre-dates any racial connotations by centuries; but
B. the use of the word "spade" as a slur for blacks goes back to the 1920s and is now pretty firmly established as well

:hmm:
Interesting. That must be a North American thing I had no idea 'spade' had any racial connotations at all.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

"Spade" for Black sounds like a slightly dated slang term to my ears.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I don't think I've heard it since the 70s, like mongers said.

Gups

Interesting. That must be a North American thing I had no idea 'spade' had any racial connotations at all.

Really? Been a derogatory terms here for years. Bit archaic now, but I heard it at a football match last season (by some blokes in the 30s)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on December 02, 2014, 03:02:51 AM

Really? Been a derogatory terms here for years. Bit archaic now, but I heard it at a football match last season (by some blokes in the 30s)
Yeah, never heard it. I'll mention it to friends because I wonder if it's just a term that's died out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I think the general fascination with serial killers and such and the desire to publicise their name and get to learn their life stories shows just what a nasty little species we can be.

If we truly cared for the victims and their memory, we will never ever even mention the killers' name.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 02, 2014, 04:21:18 AM

Yeah, never heard it. I'll mention it to friends because I wonder if it's just a term that's died out.

I heard it a lot back in the 1970s, perhaps as a demi-euphemism as it doesn't really have deep roots in English culture. It is also used by Danny in Withnail and I btw, you haven't been paying attention  :D

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 02, 2014, 05:14:29 AM
I heard it a lot back in the 1970s, perhaps as a demi-euphemism as it doesn't really have deep roots in English culture. It is also used by Danny in Withnail and I btw, you haven't been paying attention  :D
It was unfortunately very common dahn sarf, and was definitely well-integrated into popular culture of the "Love Thy Neighbour" variety.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Brazen on December 02, 2014, 05:20:34 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 02, 2014, 05:14:29 AM
It was unfortunately very common dahn sarf, and was definitely well-integrated into popular culture of the "Love Thy Neighbour" variety.

Yeah, I left the south and moved back up north in 1974 and never heard it again. Moving back down south to London in 1977 I don't recall hearing it in that period. By then, of course, we had moved from "anything goes" to thinking about language and discrimination beyond the basics of not beating people up for being different.

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2014, 05:01:40 AM
I think the general fascination with serial killers and such and the desire to publicise their name and get to learn their life stories shows just what a nasty little species we can be.

If we truly cared for the victims and their memory, we will never ever even mention the killers' name.

In general, the whole aftermath has been a mixture of a disgrace and tragedy. The court case was very much publicised, although the terrorist's statements weren't. Then there's a whole debacle about a memorial at Utøya, tearing down the block that was hit in the blast pre-massacre and the sad state of readiness in the middle of the summer holidays (and otherwise) in Norway. While Sweden maybe lost their innocence with two murdered high profile politicians, I suppose we lost ours July 22nd 2011. Without debating the child murderer's ideology too much, the whole thing has given fuel to conspiracy theorists from the "alternative" part of that great quilt that is public opinion. That this was some false flag op to save Labour from a hiding in the local elections, that it was a CIA/Mossad/Labour party plot. The scope and range of the theories are baffling, and quite frankly the part of the aftermath I take offense with.

The survivors shouldn't have to be subjected to doubt in that way. For a time, people were more polite, more open and took more care of each other, but three years on, we've all reverted back to our normal mode.
While I mostly agree with Sheilbh, Viking and Martinus, I don't go out of my way to try and offend people just because I can. Maybe all the toxic and hateful rhethoric undermines freedom of speech in the long run. I don't know.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 02, 2014, 05:25:56 AM
Yeah, I left the south and moved back up north in 1974 and never heard it again. Moving back down south to London in 1977 I don't recall hearing it in that period. By then, of course, we had moved from "anything goes" to thinking about language and discrimination beyond the basics of not beating people up for being different.
The W-word lived on until the 80s - I remember hearing it at secondary school, quite often in the context of a ghetto blaster called a w** box. Glad that one's died out.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 02, 2014, 04:21:18 AM

I think it is pretty well archaic now. It sounds like something you would hear in a Blaxploitation remake, to sound "period". Like, these really uncool Whitey cats were hassling Shaft, calling him a "spade" and all ...  ;)

Anyway, I don't think anyone is likely to take racial offence at using the phrase "calling a spade a spade" these days.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius