France's Front National Accepts €9m Loan From Russian Bank

Started by Syt, November 26, 2014, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2014, 03:28:41 AM
Hardly surprising, given how extreme right wing movements within the EU, such as Front National, UKIP or the New Right (the party of the bow-tie-sporting Polish racist) are trying to dismantle the union, which is clearly in Russia's interest. The only question is whether we are dealing with useful idiots or traitors.

The New Yorker article on Merkel in the other thread has this quote on Merkel's view of Putin:

Quote from: German Official"The Chancellor thinks Putin believes that we're decadent, we're gay, we have women with beards"—a reference to Conchita Wurst, an Austrian drag queen who won the 2014 Eurovision song contest. "That it's a strong Russia of real men versus the decadent West that's too pampered, too spoiled, to stand up for their beliefs if it costs them one per cent of their standard of living. That's his wager. We have to prove it's not true."

If that is true, it kind of makes sense that those within the West who agrees with Putin's assessment of us are drawn to him.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

Quote from: German Official"The Chancellor thinks Putin believes that we're decadent, we're gay, we have women with beards"—a reference to Conchita Wurst, an Austrian drag queen who won the 2014 Eurovision song contest. "That it's a strong Russia of real men versus the decadent West that's too pampered, too spoiled, to stand up for their beliefs if it costs them one per cent of their standard of living. That's his wager. We have to prove it's not true."

If that is true, it kind of makes sense that those within the West who agrees with Putin's assessment of us are drawn to him.

In my amateur analysis, I think that is definitely part of it.  But the authoritarian manipulation is very much there as well, and the desire to bring back some of the old territory into the Russo-sphere.

Ed Anger

I could have loaned them a million. I'd want concessions though if they won.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 26, 2014, 11:22:20 PM
I could have loaned them a million. I'd want concessions though if they won.

How many nannies are enough?   :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 26, 2014, 05:16:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2014, 04:56:59 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 26, 2014, 04:26:20 AM
Honni soit qui mal y pense  :P

To think Le Pen started used to be a hardcore anticommunist...

It beats me why people think that Putin's Russia has anything to do with communism.  :huh:

If you prefer, Jean-Marie was very anti-soviet in the old days.

Your comment still makes no sense. Despite being a former KGB apparatchik and bemoaning the fall of the Soviet Union as the "greatest tragedy", Putin's Russia is anything but Soviet. It is a reincarnation of the old Tsarist Russia down to a T, with its return to traditional religion, social conservatism, authoritarianism and imperialism. The extreme right wing, nationalist/fascist anti communists should find such a government a paradise.

It's the fact that some of the nationalists/fascists do not like Putin that is illogical (and stems from historical prejudices), not the opposite.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2014, 11:15:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2014, 03:28:41 AM
Hardly surprising, given how extreme right wing movements within the EU, such as Front National, UKIP or the New Right (the party of the bow-tie-sporting Polish racist) are trying to dismantle the union, which is clearly in Russia's interest. The only question is whether we are dealing with useful idiots or traitors.

The New Yorker article on Merkel in the other thread has this quote on Merkel's view of Putin:

Well, yes. Just as those in the West who agreed with the Soviet assessment of the West in the 1950s were drawn to Stalin. Doesn't make them any less of fools and/or traitors.

And by the way, Stalin was "right" and Putin is "right" - in that this is how the West has been and is. Only that what they see as weakness is in fact and has always been our strength. Stalin is already on the dumpster of history and Putin is heading there as well (along with Le Pen, Farage and Korwin-Mikke).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 27, 2014, 03:34:06 AM
It's the fact that some of the nationalists/fascists do not like Putin that is illogical

Only if they're Russian nationalists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 26, 2014, 05:16:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2014, 04:56:59 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 26, 2014, 04:26:20 AM
Honni soit qui mal y pense  :P

To think Le Pen started used to be a hardcore anticommunist...

It beats me why people think that Putin's Russia has anything to do with communism.  :huh:

If you prefer, Jean-Marie was very anti-soviet in the old days.

Your comment still makes no sense. Despite being a former KGB apparatchik and bemoaning the fall of the Soviet Union as the "greatest tragedy", Putin's Russia is anything but Soviet. It is a reincarnation of the old Tsarist Russia down to a T, with its return to traditional religion, social conservatism, authoritarianism and imperialism. The extreme right wing, nationalist/fascist anti communists should find such a government a paradise.

It's the fact that some of the nationalists/fascists do not like Putin that is illogical (and stems from historical prejudices), not the opposite.

Putin is playing the post-Soviet politics very wisely.  As you said, he is incorporating all of the traditional Tsarist elements, and at the same time, embracing enough elements of Soviet nostalgia to his side.  Really only alienating, and nipping in the bud, the more well-off emerging liberal middle-class, which probably needed at least another generation or two to become a significant force.

Putin will be annoying enough through at least 2024.  After that, who the hell knows...I haven't seen any real youthful successors in the wings...except maybe his sycophants.  And any of those types are sure to be far more dangerous or unstable.

Razgovory

I don't think it's about what Putin is for, but what he's against.  By standing up against the US he gets the support of the Europe old Reds.  Opposing gay and Muslims appeals to the right wing.  Hostility to the EU gets approval from the Euro-skeptics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2014, 05:44:45 AM

I don't think it's about what Putin is for, but what he's against.  By standing up against the US he gets the support of the Europe old Reds.  Opposing gay and Muslims appeals to the right wing.  Hostility to the EU gets approval from the Euro-skeptics.

Well, it's splitting hairs, especially as most politics these days is more about what you are against than what you are for.