Beijing raises stakes with tit-for-tat deployment

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 10:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2009, 08:51:00 AM
I have never jingoed, I have a bad knee.

I jingoed 3 women at one time once. it was exhausting.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2009, 08:53:03 AM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 16, 2009, 08:52:10 AM
That is why you are the master, I am merely the apprentice.

But you get to smite and crush the dreams of freshmen, something I can only dream about.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2009, 08:26:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2009, 12:16:56 AM
The last administration backed down when the Chinese tested him.

All the more reason to not back down now.

Back down for from what?  You fight up, not down.  The US won't reconize the insane Chinese territorial waters demands.  Nobody will.  There's nothing to back down from here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

So . . .

We send a destroyer and they counter by sending  . . . a converted rescue vessel.

OMG Go to DEFCON 2 immediately!

Wake me up when something of actual significance happens.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 16, 2009, 11:37:59 AM
So . . .

We send a destroyer and they counter by sending  . . . a converted rescue vessel.

They could have sent one of their submarines but it easy to see them, as they surface a lot and belch smoke from all the fires they have.

Berkut

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 16, 2009, 12:46:39 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 16, 2009, 11:37:59 AM
So . . .

They could have sent one of their submarines but it easy to see them, as they surface a lot and belch smoke from all the fires they have.

The automatic sprinkler/alarm systems are doing wonders to reduce sub losses, but they really play havoc with the stealthiness.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

The Yuzheng 311: http://www.sinodefence.com/navy/fisheries/showimage.asp?imagename=yuzheng311large

The USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93): http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/05019317.jpg

The Yuzheng 311 is classified by the Chinese Navy as a Fisheries Law Enforcement Vessel.

It's like countering a deployment of a carrier strike group by dispatching the "Love Boat"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

I'll bet that ship is pretty expensive. You think they could have sprung for a window though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Its good to know the familiar world-wide solution to economic problems will be used: war.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 16, 2009, 01:11:33 PM
The Yuzheng 311: http://www.sinodefence.com/navy/fisheries/showimage.asp?imagename=yuzheng311large

The USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93): http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/05019317.jpg

The Yuzheng 311 is classified by the Chinese Navy as a Fisheries Law Enforcement Vessel.

It's like countering a deployment of a carrier strike group by dispatching the "Love Boat"

Hey now, Captain Stubing was a first class tactician.

The Minsky Moment

The AEGIS system has been upgraded to handle unexpected guest appearances by zombie Buddy Hackett.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA