Rethinking Sherman's March: A Kindler, Gentler Total War?

Started by CountDeMoney, November 19, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Tried to link to "Marching Through Georgia" by Old Crow Medicine Show but I guess it linked the whole album.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2014, 03:03:27 AM
And peace was assured. Or in the words of  D. W. Griffith, "The former enemies of North and South are united again in defense of their Aryan birthright".

Somebody with a firm grasp on the facts of reconstruction to be sure :P

The fact was the Northern Whites (those who did not already sympathize with the Southerners) just got tired and further saw they were unlikely to win Reconstruction, so they stopped supporting it.  The Republican Party thus moved on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2014, 10:57:06 AM
Tried to link to "Marching Through Georgia" by Old Crow Medicine Show but I guess it linked the whole album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nEf2nuH_Xc

I like how the Union adopted this song to add insult to injury.  Take that Johnny Reb.  :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock