Been thinking of putting together some LP videos...

Started by DontSayBanana, November 20, 2014, 10:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2014, 01:46:20 PM
What a small steam library. Tsk tsk.

Only because of my small paycheck, or it would be bigger.  Also, I happily accept gifted games. :P
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Which reminds me, I have to yank those sound file out of that game for ringtones.  *COUGH*

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on November 20, 2014, 11:52:45 AM
You don't get Swedish people who try to be entertaining? :o

I don't find Pewdiepie entertaining. I do get that he's trying.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 20, 2014, 11:05:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2014, 10:59:42 AM
Sorry, I don't watch LP videos. -_-

No prob.  They're not for everyone- I find them to be best when treated as MST3K for gamers (which also gives you an idea what direction my commentary would probably take). :hug:

I like LP videos that go in that direction; I just find "serious" ones uninteresting at all. You may want to pick a game that has potential for parody then.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2014, 11:40:20 AM
I hate that so much stuff these days is communicated with videos. I would much rather enjoy reading a guide to tanking, for example, than seeing a youtube film.
http://www.theonion.com/video/christ-article-a-video,36101/

Agreed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 21, 2014, 05:10:38 AM
I like LP videos that go in that direction; I just find "serious" ones uninteresting at all. You may want to pick a game that has potential for parody then.

It depends on whether I want to be entertained, or if I want to learn about a game. If I want to know how a game works or plays a constant barrage of goofy jokes with little to no comment about the mechanics will chase me away, while Goat Simulator would be the complete opposite.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Syt

Since it came up in the bargain thread, how's this project going for you, DSB?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And speaking of Twitch: there's so many people streaming there who shouldn't be in front of a microphone, and who shouldn't have their cameras switched on. I like hanging out in streams of games I like with relaxed streamers who have maybe a couple hundred people watching, so that you can still properly chat if you feel so inclined. Streams with 1000s of people are a bit crazy that way. Though I do watch QuickyBaby's World of Tanks stream from time to time, but that's probably more because he's one of the few who streams in English and not some Eastern European Orc language. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Drakken

Quote from: celedhring on November 21, 2014, 05:10:38 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 20, 2014, 11:05:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2014, 10:59:42 AM
Sorry, I don't watch LP videos. -_-

No prob.  They're not for everyone- I find them to be best when treated as MST3K for gamers (which also gives you an idea what direction my commentary would probably take). :hug:

So basically, you are talking about a retsupurae.

MadBurgerMaker

I watch LPs, or at least parts of them, about games I'm considering buying.  One thing I've noticed is I start getting really annoyed by certain things in the commentary.  For example, one I was watching (I want to say it was for Banished), the dude kept saying "sort of."  "This is sort of a food unit, click on it to sort of create a new one" or whatever.  Bothered the hell out of me.  It IS a food unit and that's how you create it, douchebag. 

So.  Uh.  Don't do that.  :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2014, 09:57:09 AM
Since it came up in the bargain thread, how's this project going for you, DSB?

It's been shelved a bit with things getting crazy around the holidays.  I'd still like to do this, though I'm still trying to decide a gameplay direction to go with this.  Indie games are cheaper, but pop up way more frequently, and there's more of a scoop competition going on with commentators for those games.  AAA games are a bigger cash drop, but  have more of a built-in viewership.  Retro and previous-gen gaming is probably closest to where my tastes fall, and emulation of those games makes it easy to get most of those to the screen nowadays, but I just worry about being so late to the game that I've lost the zeitgeist.

It could also be a fun way to challenge myself on games that I didn't do in the past.  The original Silent Hill?  Aborted my attempt at the second screen because the squeaky tricycle freaked me out.  Shooters?  Never beat them without cheating (except Starfox 64).  Sports games?  Aside from a 10-minute try of a scratched disc of Madden 2004, the last time I touched one was Quarterback Club '96 for the Game Boy (where I abused the hell out of the overpowered Dolphins in general, and the Sub Marino play in particular).

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 30, 2014, 07:05:49 PM
I watch LPs, or at least parts of them, about games I'm considering buying.  One thing I've noticed is I start getting really annoyed by certain things in the commentary.  For example, one I was watching (I want to say it was for Banished), the dude kept saying "sort of."  "This is sort of a food unit, click on it to sort of create a new one" or whatever.  Bothered the hell out of me.  It IS a food unit and that's how you create it, douchebag. 

So.  Uh.  Don't do that.  :P

That drives me nuts as well.  I usually keep my voice pretty tightly controlled- my speaking style is similar to Markiplier's; I've been the target of a few jokes back in school for having a very "radio" voice.  I tend to put more effort into enunciation and avoiding awkward bridge words than even many communications and journalism majors.  Chalk it up to a lisp and a stutter resulting in several years of speech therapy, but I can be a little vain about my broadcast voice nowadays. :P
Experience bij!